AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Actual Landing Page vs Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using Analytics to review my Adwords daily results. I have configured all of my ads with Destination URLs (for example www.mysite.com/adpage.php)which are different from the Display URL (www.mysite.com).  However, per Analytics ~60% of my AW clicks go to the Display URL, not the destination URL.

My ads have not been rejected. Auto-tagging is turned ON. These ad versions have been running for several days.

My expectation is that 100% of AW clicks will go to the Destination URL.

Any ideas why? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Actual Landing Page vs Destination URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Indeed, all ads should point to the Destination URL except in situations when you have keywords URLs as well. If you have keyword URLs, they trump ad URLs.

If you don't have keyword URLs, go to your destination URL and append ?gclid=test to it (or &gclid=test if you already have other URL parameters). Does the website work with that extra parameter? If it doesn't, (or if it redirects to the homepage), that MAY be a reason.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Indeed, all ads should point to the Destination URL except in situations when you have keywords URLs as well. If you have keyword URLs, they trump ad URLs.

If you don't have keyword URLs, go to your destination URL and append ?gclid=test to it (or &gclid=test if you already have other URL parameters). Does the website work with that extra parameter? If it doesn't, (or if it redirects to the homepage), that MAY be a reason.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - that was my problem. I had set a few keyword destination URLs that I forgot about.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm glad to hear that was it.