3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Account suspened due to me purchasing a bad domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently purchased a company called the tc shoppe and the nature of our business is Real Estate Transaction Coordinators.  When I purchased the business it came with the domain (thetcshoppe.com).  I looked for www.tcshoppe.com and saw it was available so I purchased it.  I created my website and posted it and tried to sign up with Google adwords.  They indicated my account violated webmaster policies due to illegal back links that point to my site.  Unfortunately I have no control over this as the previous domain owner must have used this site improperly.  So I decided until we can figure this out I will just use www.thetcshoppe.com which has no issues but because my account is suspended they won't let me run anything until the other site is corrected.  AS I explained I cant correct links from other sites.  I asked what if we just remove tcshoppe from my account would that work?  I was told no.. What if I was to abandon www.tcshoppe and the answer was no.  So basically what I am being told is I will be banned for life just because I purchased a problem domain.  How is this fair?  I would like someone to help me understand this policy

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tcshoppe
September 2015

Re: Account suspened due to me purchasing a bad domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 11
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I dont know if someone from google was watching but my other domain is now displaying adwords Smiley Very Happy ty now to figure out how to fix the back links on tcshoppe.com

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

hello tcshoppe and welcome;

A similar question, about 3 weeks ago, triggered a long discussion, that was finally resolved, when Google made its policy clear: Brain, A google employee (some of them constantly monitor and follow discussions on the Community), wrote the following, in an identical case, when a site Policy violation, occurred when the domain was owned by someone else:

• "It is sometimes the case that advertisers promote a site, it is found to be in violation, and they then abandon it instead of addressing the violation in question. That is fine to do, except that AdWords will still consider that site policy violation as part of the history of the account. This can cause issues down the line (as in the case of account suspensions), but is necessary to ensure that advertisers address the policy issues at hand. You are always welcome to make changes to the site so that it can be considered in compliance, but (as has been pointed out) you would need to control of the domain to do so."

He added on another post in the same discussion:

• The requirement that all domains on the account be free of violations is a firm policy and cannot be reconsidered, despite the specific circumstances of an account. If this is what happened to your account, the only way to appeal the suspension would be to first bring the domain in question into compliance.

If you read thoroughly this discussion (that runs on 4 web pages...), you will see frustration and a disapproval by posters to this policy. However, Google's policy on this matter is constant and solid.

Smiley Sad

-Moshe

[edited : Many thanks to Tom, who let me know that, after I had corrected some typos, - the original answer was written in a hurry - the post was not saved. I did click "post". Luckily, I still had it open on another tab, That could be a bug....!! - After editing posts are not saved...]

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi tcshoppe,

As Moshe pointed out, this policy is a difficult one to be caught in.

I have an idea for you though...you can use Webmaster Tools among other free web tools (Search Google back link finder etc...) to see what back links are pointing to the domain in question.  Although it could take some work, you could try to first find the back links and the see if you can get them all or the 'questionable' ones removed by contacting the owners of the particular websites where the links originate. 

I just tried this one:  http://www.backlinkwatch.com/index.php ( I cannot vouch for reliability and their ads are annoying  but it found 11 back links to tcshoppe.com, all related to thecomputershoppe.com (previous domain owner I'm guessing) and most links were on the same site, but in different languages.

I also visited the links that were listed and through the 'view source' option on the pages, I was able to find the links that point to tcshoppe.com.  I don't know how many more links there may be out there but this doesn't look too bad.

My only fear is that the previous domain owner may have enlisted some 'black-hat' services and some of the back links could possibly be unknown to the owners of the sites that you're getting links from.

I completely and fully understand your frustrations and I personally think there are exceptions to these policies that should be considered, including your situation here.  It appears that you're not at fault for what happened here and you clearly offered to remedy the situation by abandoning the domain...I don't know what else you can do here.

Hopefully a Googler can chime in and maybe help you get this resolved.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Tom;

Don't  you allow to contact  you by email through your G+ profile?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I'll have to check on that Moshe. I have an email link on my profile here. Smiley Happy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not that internet savvy so I would love it if I could contract someone to help get this fixed.  My friend ran a backlinks program and said there were 513 ugh no way of contacting these domains.  I don’t understand if I were to remove this from the adwords why I would not be able to use my good domain.  I can’t even purchase another domain I would still have the same problem,  This is really unfair so I did report this to the Federal Trade Commission as I have done nothing wrong and Google being the #1 search engine can ban me for something I wasn't part of.  My friend brought up a good question what's to stop your competitors from paying someone to having a bunch of backlinks pointing to your site to take you out and vs. versa.  There needs to be some form of common sense here.  Again please contact me or point me in the right direction for some help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I am reading the proposed solution correctly - the owner of the domain should:

1. Do a backlink check 

2. Contact owners of the "bad" backlinks and request that they remove thier links.

linkto:tcshoppe.com returns 602 links.

Does google really expect the owner of tcshoppe.com to contact all "bad" links.  

There are a whole bunch of problems with this.  Here are a few:

1. Many domain owners use  anonymous private domain services and cannot be contacted. 

2. There are too many.

Trying to control backlinks is like going to a sporting event and trying to control can look at you.   This is impossible.

And what about the malicious user who decides to poison his competitor with a bunch of backlinks ?

Google already has a method for verifiying domain ownership.  They should extend this all the owner to pick and choose the backlinks that google has on file they want.

Do no evil Google.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi BillKellaway,

I think that Google 'expects' all advertisers to abide by their policies, the problem with this is that there are situations like this where unknowingly, an advertiser is not in compliance and had no idea prior to the suspension.

My suggestion was just that, an idea/suggestion...not in any way a recommendation by Google, only me. Smiley Happy

For some sites, it could be a viable option, for tcshoppe.com it is probably not.

This situation appears to be a series of unfortunate events and I personally don't feel as if tcshoppe is not 'at fault'.

Unfortunately, none of us have the ability or power to reinstate a suspended account, only to try an help resolve surface problems.

Couple responses to your points :

"1. Many domain owners use  anonymous private domain services and cannot be contacted." - If there is a site attached to a domain, sometimes there is contact information right on the site.

"2. There are too many." - Agreed, in this case - 600+ is far too many for the type of action I suggested. Search results and actual backlinks are not always the same thing.  Lots of links carry no juice.

"Trying to control backlinks is like going to a sporting event and trying to control can look at you." - Exactly - Great analogy.

"And what about the malicious user who decides to poison his competitor with a bunch of backlinks?" - Not sure about this but I guess it's a possibility - I prefer to focus my efforts on my own sites...seems like a waste of time to me but, not out of the realm of possibility.

"Google already has a method for verifiying domain ownership.  They should extend this all the owner to pick and choose the backlinks that google has on file they want." - Nice idea.

My final thought still stands as it did in my previous post "Hopefully a Googler can chime in and maybe help you get this resolved." 

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There's another "guilt by association" problem here.  As of a result of the suspension of the tcshoppe.com domain all other domains owned by this owner any he purchases will be suspended by Google.

Google also told him that even if he gets rid of this domain all domains owned by him will still be suspended even if he no longer owns this domain.  I find this hard to believe but this is what he has told me.

I run a couple of pay per click campaigns for clients and quit Adwords long ago for reasons like this.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes in fact I asked if I purchased another domain would I have the same problem and the reply is yes your account is suspended until I correct the problem.  I cant even open a new account with a new domain because of this suspension.  So I will be forever banned from using adwords.