Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Account setup for 1 domain, targeting several country & languages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I could need some advice on setup for an new adwords account.

- 1 domain, .com

- Website content is only in English.

- Targeting several country & Languages.

Whats best practise..? How should I structure the account..? need some advice.

Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Account setup for 1 domain, targeting several country & languages

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Curtis5

I understand that you want to target a number of countries as a lot of people all over the world speak English. However, if your ads/site is written in English only, I think you should stick with English only for the language targeting.

Anyway, with regard to targeting other languages, it is a best practice to have one campaign per language (as language settings are at campaign level). I'm referencing an article with more information about this below-

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722078&topic=1713941&ctx=topic&path=17...

And also advice about targeting to countries or specific regions-

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722043

I hope this helps you, good luck Smiley Happy

Best regards

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Curtis5;

This is a nice questions; and you will see many suggestions with different strategies applied.

The complexity of targeting several countries and languages, lies in the method Google recognize the "user's language".

This is done (mainly) by determining the user's browser interface language.

Now, let's see what could happen:

• You might want to target South Africa
  • In SA many speak English, but may also speak Afrikaans (as well as English).
  • Those who speak Afrikaans, can use Google Chrome with Afrikaans interface, BUT they may also run searches in English! (because they speak both languages spoken in SA).
  • So, if you want to target a country, you should be familiar with all the languages spoken in this country. As said, the user may use one language for his browser (recognize by Google as "the users' language"), while a different language for search.

final note: actually, it's more complex: Google uses variety of tools to figure the "user's language". Among them: information user provide to Google under privacy policy. However, the basic concept does not change: If you target EN speaking users, you should keep in mind, that they may be recognized by Google as other language speakers (though speak EN fluently).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Curtis,

I am also managing campaigns for different locations & languages. My targeted locations are france, finland, netherlands, Norway etc. (do not ask if i know all those languages Smiley Tongue )

I think for south africa location:

Location Targeting: South Africa
Language Targeting: English & Afrikaans

Adgroups: seperate adgroups for English keywords and seperate for Afrikaans keywords

Adcopies: For english adgroups use English adcopies and for Afrikaans use Afrikaans adcopies.

Landing Page: As you saying you have website content in English. Why don't you add translate option on the top right corner of the page. Must be clearly visible & does not take too much time in loading.

It would be best if you can use landing page for Afrikaans adgroups that has a content in Afrikaans & for English adgroups that has content in English.

Hope it will help you!

Thanks,
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Curtis5

I understand that you want to target a number of countries as a lot of people all over the world speak English. However, if your ads/site is written in English only, I think you should stick with English only for the language targeting.

Anyway, with regard to targeting other languages, it is a best practice to have one campaign per language (as language settings are at campaign level). I'm referencing an article with more information about this below-

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722078&topic=1713941&ctx=topic&path=17...

And also advice about targeting to countries or specific regions-

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722043

I hope this helps you, good luck Smiley Happy

Best regards

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Curtis5;

This is a nice questions; and you will see many suggestions with different strategies applied.

The complexity of targeting several countries and languages, lies in the method Google recognize the "user's language".

This is done (mainly) by determining the user's browser interface language.

Now, let's see what could happen:

• You might want to target South Africa
  • In SA many speak English, but may also speak Afrikaans (as well as English).
  • Those who speak Afrikaans, can use Google Chrome with Afrikaans interface, BUT they may also run searches in English! (because they speak both languages spoken in SA).
  • So, if you want to target a country, you should be familiar with all the languages spoken in this country. As said, the user may use one language for his browser (recognize by Google as "the users' language"), while a different language for search.

final note: actually, it's more complex: Google uses variety of tools to figure the "user's language". Among them: information user provide to Google under privacy policy. However, the basic concept does not change: If you target EN speaking users, you should keep in mind, that they may be recognized by Google as other language speakers (though speak EN fluently).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.

The need is:

I want to target many countries. NOT only english speaking countries.

I want to f,x target customer in France..

My ads will be in french, and I´ll have french keywords.. but the website content is on english.

and another example: I want to target customer in asia, China.. How to setup..?

Should I create ONE International campagin, where I target ALL countries, and English as language, and make ads and keywords in english.

and then create sveral campaigns for each country iam targeting..?

How about when Iam for example targeting France, and my ads , and keywords are in french.. but the content in English..?

Hope you can follow the need.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your reply.

So in this case (South Africa)

How should the adwords setup be..?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Let's take SA as an example:

campaign country: SA:

Languages : English + Afrikaans (any other languages in SA supported by Chrome??)

Keywords: in English !!

The result: all those use Afrikaans as interface language for Chrome, and search in English, will be shown ads in English based on their search queries in English.

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe,

What if the search query is in african (non-english)..?

and what if interface language is not english..?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Curtis;

• If the search query is in Afrikaans - then you'll have to include in your campaign keywords in Afrikaans.
  • If you want those keywords (in Afrikaans ), to trigger an ad to users using (Chrome/IE) interface in English - you need to add EN language (in addition to Afrikaans) in your campaign settings.

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok,

Whats best practise when:

the site content is in English, but we have keywords in Afrikaans in campaign..?

Should the Adcopy/ adtext be in English Or Afrikaans..?

What about the QS for the Keywords in Afrikaans, when the Site content (landingpage) is in English..?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Curtis,

I am also managing campaigns for different locations & languages. My targeted locations are france, finland, netherlands, Norway etc. (do not ask if i know all those languages Smiley Tongue )

I think for south africa location:

Location Targeting: South Africa
Language Targeting: English & Afrikaans

Adgroups: seperate adgroups for English keywords and seperate for Afrikaans keywords

Adcopies: For english adgroups use English adcopies and for Afrikaans use Afrikaans adcopies.

Landing Page: As you saying you have website content in English. Why don't you add translate option on the top right corner of the page. Must be clearly visible & does not take too much time in loading.

It would be best if you can use landing page for Afrikaans adgroups that has a content in Afrikaans & for English adgroups that has content in English.

Hope it will help you!

Thanks,
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’