AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Account Takeover- too many keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I am taking over a large AdWords account, moving it from an Agency to our in-house team. I have just started with this company.
As I'm auditing the account, I've noticed some Ad Groups have the recommended 1-25 keywords/ad group, while others have 100, 200, up to 1,400 keywords per ad group.
I am looking for an explanation for this - is there an exception to the rule, where a large number of keywords can work well, or has the agency just been lazy with breaking down these keywords into more relevant ad groups? The agency has not been forthcoming with our team about their reasoning for anything, including many other oddities with this account (which I understand, I wouldn't want to give away my strategy to someone who's taking my job).
Also, what are some suggestions as I begin sorting these hundreds of keywords into more relevant groups?
Any advice is much appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author April J
January 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @April J

You are very welcome Smiley Happy

I think i would look at different date ranges and see if anything historically worked on that large group of keywords with little impressions clicks etc. Could it be they used to perform well and lost ad rank either through reduced bids or declining QS from inefficient QS management, for example. 

I would probably pause the ones that contributed very little but only if they have enough data to warrant pausing / removing - you don't want to miss a golden opportunity that can often lurk around. Id take a sample of kw, label them up, and try a few flexi bid options as a pure test and see what happens from there. This is aside from the main body of your top 50 of course. I would advise to pay particular attention to device also. 

My bet is you could get more than the 50 top performers to work its just going to take a bit of time, patience, and a lot of questioning i suspect Smiley Happy

Good luck

James

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I see this a LOT!  I would start by looking at the history.  If over the last 30 days you have keywords with 0 impressions and 0 clicks, go ahead and pause/remove those.

Then, I'd keep watching the stats and slowly pull back to the best performing terms.  ESPECIALLY if you are under a limited budget.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you SO much. This is sort-of what I thought, I'll feel more comfortable presenting this solution to my supervisor now. 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @April J

I also, as mentioned by @Shanee_Kirk, see this In a lot of cases. 

I have seen varying degrees of success with this approach and examples of it actually working quite well on exact matches, to also assessing accounts with miserable reckless spending with 1000s of broad match KW in 1 ad group. There really is no definitive approach to account architecture in my opinion, however logical or illogical it may seem. That said, we all have our own preferences and I would encourage you indeed to restructure with a style that suits your own logic in driving success for that particular business model and your own best practices you have developed. 

Restructuring may seem a large job but I believe you may be in a better position in the long run to build back up the account in a very structured methodological way that promotes relevance and achieves the overall goal set out by you or client. I use a mixture of excel and editor for very large account data sets and if you pre draw it out beforehand, you can create some nice excel rules and filters that help ease this task and create relevancy in certain blocks (like rubix cube) so to speak which can then be fed into editor to work its own special magic. 

I would start by performance (whichever metric is most important to you) - is there a parato 80/20 rule hidden within the account, that can then subsequently be designed in such a way you know where to start addressing first as the key backbone of the strategy for example. Although large data sets are daunting, they aren't so bad when you dive in and start breaking them down i have found. 

Best of luck

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James,

Thanks for the advice!

The keywords in this group are mostly exact and phrase match, and only the top 50 or so have any impressions, with minimal clicks/CTR on most keywords.

My gut tells me to start pausing/disabling the majority of keywords and try to assess the top 50-100, then work on restructuring the campaign from there.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author April J
January 2017

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @April J

You are very welcome Smiley Happy

I think i would look at different date ranges and see if anything historically worked on that large group of keywords with little impressions clicks etc. Could it be they used to perform well and lost ad rank either through reduced bids or declining QS from inefficient QS management, for example. 

I would probably pause the ones that contributed very little but only if they have enough data to warrant pausing / removing - you don't want to miss a golden opportunity that can often lurk around. Id take a sample of kw, label them up, and try a few flexi bid options as a pure test and see what happens from there. This is aside from the main body of your top 50 of course. I would advise to pay particular attention to device also. 

My bet is you could get more than the 50 top performers to work its just going to take a bit of time, patience, and a lot of questioning i suspect Smiley Happy

Good luck

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@James Edw Goode 

Thanks again, I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Cheers,

April

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So do you remember what happened? I am in the same situation.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

I am guilty of this. I have managed hundreds of AdWords accounts both local ones and international ones of a wide range in budgets. And I have some opinions on this:

1. Ignore the AdWords 'guidelines'

2. SKAGs are a waste of management time unless you have 1 account to look after and those keywords generate a enough traffic to allow you to determine whether ads can be paused after just a couple days of running.

3. It is possible to to have a group of 500 relevant keywords. It is called long tails and exact matches. Once you multiple out keywords, it ads up quickly with just a couple changes.

4. It is not necessary to go back and pause every keyword that gets almost no impressions because they get no impressions. They are neither hurting or helping, manage your time wisely. If you have nothing better to do than sure, go for it.

5. If the account had been generating affordable conversions than there is no reason for the last manager to explain themselves. Just keep finding ways to improve it.