AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Account Suspended but Adwords team give unreasonable answer

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm account manager. One of my clients account is suspended and I've been told by Google Adwords person that we can't use company names like Microsoft, Dell etc within the body of the text:

Is this not allowed? I see many other competitors using ads like this:

HP Technical Support - Call HP At 1-88-888-0666

hp-support.techmantras.us/

Online Support for Latop/Desktop

PS: I've changed the phone numbers.

Surprisingly he copied ads from his friends account who was already running such ads.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Account Suspended but Adwords team give unreasonable answer

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 18
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi utilitiesindia,

Thank you for writing into the Community forum! Trademark is a tricky area that depends a lot on the geographic area that you are targeting, but I will try and clarify on some of the questions I've seen on this thread

Account Suspension

Generally speaking, suspensions do not occur on an account due to trademark concerns. As someone previosly stats on this thread, trademark issues usually result in a simple ad disapproval. In cases in which an advertiser is attempting to get around a trademark issue with text manipulation or if the advertiser continued to submit ads in violation of any policy, an account-level suspension can occur. I would suggest that you contact AdWords Support and ask them directly what is causing the suspension and what you can do to have it reviewed. It is likely, based on my experience, that the account is not suspended, but rather that all of the ads are simply disapproved. 

Using Trademarks in your Ads

Per our trademark policy, we will monitor for a registered trademark when the trademark owner requests that we do. In most cases, in order to run ads with the trademark in the ad text, you will need to have the trademark owner fill out the authorization form. In most countries, this is the only way that you can run ads with trademarks in the ad text. 

If you are only advertising in US, Canada, the UK, and Irelan, however, you can run ads under our re-seller and informational site policy. As long as you are re-selling the products of that company or are providing an online informational experience (e.g. review sites), your ads can be approved under this policy. Tip: Ensure that the trademark itself is on your landing page, that the trademark is in text format (images do not apply), and that the landing page is devoted solely to that trademark and not any others. 

Keyword Insertion

In most regions, you are free to use trademarks as your keywords. There are a limited number of countries, however, in which we do investigate keywords for trademark permission. Trademark keywords are not applicable for keywords insertion in any situation. The ad will, instead, show the default text you have chosen.

I hope this clarifies on some of your questions! As I stated previously, I would suggest that you reach out to AdWords Support and clarify on whether the account is suspended, under review, or if you are only dealing with disapproved ads. At that point, you will then know what you need to do to get up and running!

Thanks,

Brian D.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Google have to follow very strict trademark policies that mean certain tradmarked terms will not be allowed in ads without written authorisation from the trademark owner.

If you were to issue proof that the company (Acer) are allowing you to use the trademark company name then this should allow for the ads to run. 

Please note as well that some companies are fine with trademark terms being used which is why some may run and others do not. 

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

To add to the above you will need to use the Trademark Authorisation Form to submit your proof.

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Agreed unless you have authorisation and are allowed to use the trademarked terms then they will be rejected by google, certain countries enforce stricter policies on trademarks and it would probably be a good idea to contact google and find out if your allowed to use the term in your country.A good starting point would be to read the following post from Google Support regarding Trademark Policy - http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6118

Following that you could always use the following trademark authorisation request form should assist with your situation -

https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmauth

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi utilitiesindia,

In addition, I would like to say that in case the trademark owner fills up the authorization form on your behalf, only then you might be allowed otherwsie, you are not. For more you can refer to the Trademark policy here.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@Louayy_Haqqi, I was probably writing when you posted the reply Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If your customer account got suspended there is nothing you can do anymore, including filling out trademark  forms that will not help  in such case of an account suspension.

Normally Google warns that you are violating trademark terms by disapproving ads. If you insist in resend these ads again your account got terminated.

did you have ads suspended in past for this account? You can try to contact support but your chances are very low to get account reinstated.

I recommend you to apply for Google Certification Program, where you can learn more about AdWords Policies for managing customer accounts with less risk of get suspended. 

Re: TradeName

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

There have been number of interesting discussions on trade-names, lately: here are two of them:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Account-Suspended/m-p/13474

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Can-another-company-us-my-company-name-in-t...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Suspended for using the trademark in your ads? hum...suspended? Harsh. Usually Google just disapproves the ads instead of suspending unless you have had so many repeat violations.

Also is that an example of your ads above - with the phone number in the title line? I know that is a no no Smiley Happy but again usually a disapproval issue.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Re: Account Suspended due to trade name violations

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Kim;

Some cases lately that the wholel account  being suspended due to  landing page violation of trade names (e.g. links in my first post).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’