5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Accelerated or standard ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

my product is having more searches .. so which delivery method is suitable for me ? an how to choose the delivery method ? are there any constraints ?

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Re: Accelerated or standard ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @SMS STRIKER there's a lot of confusion over this setting, so it's important to understand one thing:

Standard or Accelerated delivery are only different when budget is less than possible spend and neither setting necessarily shows your Ads more often in an entire day.

The difference is only in how often your Ads are shown, and when.  Imagine your Ads can be shown 10 times an hour, cost $1 per click and you have a budget of $50 for a 10 hour schedule.  With Accelerated Delivery, your Ad will be shown 10 times an hour, from the start of your day until 5 hours later, a total of 50 clicks.  With Standard Delivery, your Ad will be shown 5 times an hour, for the whole 10 hour period, still a total of 50 clicks.  When your budget is more than $100, Accelerated and Standard Delivery will show your Ads in exactly the same way - 10 per hour - since this is the most they can be shown, and will result in a spend lower than your budget.

Choosing between Accelerated and Standard is mostly about your business and how it works.  If you have a limited budget and have to ship products same day, it might make sense to use Accelerated so that orders come in mostly in the morning.  However, in almost all cases, Standard delivery is the more appropriate setting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

• Standard delivery (the default option) tries to show your ads throughout the entire day to make sure that you don't spend your whole budget in the morning and cause your ads to stop showing for the rest of the day.
  • Accelerated delivery tries to show your ads more quickly until your budget is reached. With this option, your ads can stop showing early in the day if your budget is spent.

Your campaign setting must be "all features" to avail this feature.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hello, hope you are doing great.

I am using accelerated in most of the cases to participate in more auctions.
However it's not suitable if you have limited budget since you can recieve all traffic in the first part of the day.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @SMS STRIKER there's a lot of confusion over this setting, so it's important to understand one thing:

Standard or Accelerated delivery are only different when budget is less than possible spend and neither setting necessarily shows your Ads more often in an entire day.

The difference is only in how often your Ads are shown, and when.  Imagine your Ads can be shown 10 times an hour, cost $1 per click and you have a budget of $50 for a 10 hour schedule.  With Accelerated Delivery, your Ad will be shown 10 times an hour, from the start of your day until 5 hours later, a total of 50 clicks.  With Standard Delivery, your Ad will be shown 5 times an hour, for the whole 10 hour period, still a total of 50 clicks.  When your budget is more than $100, Accelerated and Standard Delivery will show your Ads in exactly the same way - 10 per hour - since this is the most they can be shown, and will result in a spend lower than your budget.

Choosing between Accelerated and Standard is mostly about your business and how it works.  If you have a limited budget and have to ship products same day, it might make sense to use Accelerated so that orders come in mostly in the morning.  However, in almost all cases, Standard delivery is the more appropriate setting.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Good topic. @Jon_Gritton in https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404248?hl=en
it's written
What to expect: Since your ad delivery occurs throughout the day, you might not see your ad appear every time you look for it, particularly if your campaign is limited by budget. I didn't find confirmation of your statement marked in bold. 

Let's consider such situatuon: my budget is $1000 but usually I am spending only $600 a day so campaign is not limited by budget. Yesterday evening I've increased bids a bit to increase positions and this morning for some reason more people were typing my keywords in Google so I have spend $750 before 1PM. Then there were not so much traffic in the afternoon so by the end of the day I have spend $950. Since I was using accelerated mode I was participating in all possible auctions. Can you confirm that I would not lose any traffic using Standart delivery in this scenario? 

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexey C think about it from Google's point of view.  Their aim is to show your Ad as often as possible in all situations.  Not only does this give your Ads the best chance of succeeding but, of course, also results in spending as much of your budget as possible.  Where your budget is effectively unlimited (as in the case of a typical $600 daily spend and a budget of $1000), whether your delivery method is set to Standard or Accelerated, Google is still going to be able to show your Ad whenever possible - there's no reason why they shouldn't.  There are some key bits in the help page you referenced:

"If your budget is limited, choose a “standard” or “accelerated” ad delivery method to determine the pace you want your ads to show throughout the day." (my bold) right at the top, indicating that there is no need to choose if your budget is unlimited.

"If your campaign isn’t limited by budget, the ad delivery method won’t be useful since your budget is high enough to enable your ads to serve throughout the entire day."  Which says it all.

I can imagine only a handful of situations where Accelerated Delivery might be useful, but to be honest, even then it might not be the best choice once you start considering things like bid adjustments for schedule, or repeat click patterns and conversion paths.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Jon_Gritton Of course Google aims to make money but they aim to show your ads only in all relevant auctions.That's why we have quality score, right? And Google didn't fully disclose how Standart delivery method works so you can't be 100% confident about it. I don't know even single benefit of using Standart when your budget is not limited. When your budget is way to high, I think both Standart and Accelerated will give the same amount of impressions. But what about situations when your budget is only 20-50% higher then your usual daily spend? Why Standart is better then Accelerated in this cases? 

You didn't give feedback about case which I have described in previous reply. According to this article  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375423 Google may spend only 20% more budget and "The standard delivery method aims to evenly distribute your budget across the entire day (12 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.) to avoid exhausting your budget early on." so in scenario described my be Standart delivery would not get all possible impressions.

Let me give you one more similar example - I am promoting ecommerce website which is selling Samsung phones. My budget is $500 (usually I am spending $200). Yesterday Samsung launched massive offline ad campaign promoting their new phones. With accelerated method I may notice that by 11am all my budget is over so I can increase it to sell more phones if results suit me. With Standart delivery I would not participate in all auctions and potentially would lose profit. And it's not rare case. 

"If your campaign isn’t limited by budget, the ad delivery method won’t be useful since your budget is high enough to enable your ads to serve throughout the entire day."  Which says it all.

It says it all only when we are setting unrealistically huge budgets which actually can lead to wasted spend. 

Let me put all together - we didn't find even single benefit of using Standart delivery if budget is not limited but found examples when Accelerated is working in more effective way. Maybe @MosheTLV can share his opinion since has participated a bit choosing the best answer Smiley Happy  

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Alexey C

The key  to use accelerated delivery is the Lost Impression  Share (by rank).  If your lost impression share (Rank)  is low (i.e. your ad  participates in almost all auctions it eligible to take part),  accelerated delivery will attempt to "squeeze" some more auctions from the "inventory" of the available auctions  in order to exhaust the budget.

If your lost impression share (Rank) is high, first focus on getting more impressions within the standard delivery.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Alexey C the biggest problem with using Accelerated Delivery is that when the budget is exhausted, your Ads stop running completely.  If you are in a position to increase the budget to allow the Ads to continue running, then that's fine, but if you're not, you've lost your Ad exposure completely for an unknown period.

Let's be clear on one point - you agree that when your budget is effectively unlimited, there is no difference between Standard and Accelerated Delivery, yes?

So we're only arguing now about situations either where the budget is limited (less than possible spend) or where it's only slightly more than expected spend. In these cases, which delivery method you choose will be driven by the nature of your Campaign.  As I mentioned above, the key problem with Accelerated Delivery is that impressions stop completely when the budget is exhausted, so we can look at the issue in terms of not how often your Ad is shown, but how often it is not shown.  In a limited budget scenario, with Standard delivery your Ad will likely be missing some impressions throughout the day, but your Ads will be shown for some impressions all day.  With Accelerated Delivery, your Ad will probably not miss any impressions while there is existing budget, but once the budget is exhausted, your Ads will miss all available impressions.

I don't believe you can look at this decision in isolation from all other results or settings.  The fact that the budget is limited suggests the Campaign is still being tested, yes?  (Why would you limit the budget on a Campaign with a proven positive ROAS, or run one that you know to be unprofitable?).  If you're testing a Campaign, using Accelerated Delivery with a limited budget will show your Ad for all possible impressions, but will not show your Ad at all once the budget runs out.  That cannot be a good way to test a Campaign as you then have no idea how the Campaign might perform in that period where Ads weren't showing, neither do you have any idea how important it might be for your Ads to be visible for 2nd or 3rd clicks.

Looking at your particular example of the phone promotion you said:

"With accelerated method I may notice that by 11am all my budget is over so I can increase it to sell more phones if results suit me. With Standart delivery I would not participate in all auctions and potentially would lose profit. And it's not rare case."

Sure, but what happens if you don't notice, or are (for any number of reasons) not able to increase the budget.  Your Ads stop showing completely.  We're not talking about missing a handful of impressions, we're talking about a complete cessation of delivery.  If it only takes an hour for you to get the Ads back online again how much damage has that done?  How is it worth that risk compared to running Standard with a decent budget?

"It says it all only when we are setting unrealistically huge budgets which actually can lead to wasted spend. "

I don't agree.  For a start I don't see why a large budget leads to wasted spend, but more importantly I don't see why there's a difference between being 50% over typical spend or 2000%.  If you have sufficient budget for your Ad to enter every available auction, there is no difference between Accelerated and Standard.  If you have a Campaign that is running at a positive ROAS, why would limit how much it can spend?  Why would you not allow it to spend as much as possible?

Jon

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Let's be clear on one point - you agree that when your budget is effectively unlimited, there is no difference between Standard and Accelerated Delivery, yes?

Yes, in my very first reply I've recommended not to use accelerated if budget is limited. My main statement is - I don't know even single benefit of using standart delivery if budget is not limited but I gave several examples why accelerated is better when budget is effectively unlimited. By "effectively" I mean it should not be much higher compared to your usual daily spend. 

Sure, but what happens if you don't notice, or are (for any number of reasons) not able to increase the budget.  Your Ads stop showing completely.  We're not talking about missing a handful of impressions, we're talking about a complete cessation of delivery.  If it only takes an hour for you to get the Ads back online again how much damage has that done?  How is it worth that risk compared to running Standard with a decent budget?

You are refering to a rare case - I am checking main KPI each morning across all accounts. It takes only 5 min for account. But ok, maybe it was Saturday and we have spend all budget in the first part of the day. I don't understand which damage you are reffering to - it seems to me that you are just trying to find some way to go away from facts. In this case campaigns would receive more or less the same amount of clicks both with Accelerated and Standart. Yes, you would not have statisitics on the second hour of the day but anyway with Standart delivery you will not get proper statistics. Also search traffic is based on the demand so when people are telling about "not effective hours" of the day it seems that they have too much free time unless they have managing huge websites or have collected statistical significant amount of data, but in that case there might be more effective solutions that cutting traffic on specific hours of they day if it can be served 24/7. 

I don't agree.  For a start I don't see why a large budget leads to wasted spend, but more importantly I don't see why there's a difference between being 50% over typical spend or 2000%.  If you have sufficient budget for your Ad to enter every available auction, there is no difference between Accelerated and Standard.  If you have a Campaign that is running at a positive ROAS, why would limit how much it can spend?  Why would you not allow it to spend as much as possible?

Your main statement - there are always "good" campaigns which have Positive ROAS and "bad" campaigns which you are still testing. For "good" campaigns you are setting unreasonable huge unlimited budgets, for "bad" campaigns you are limiting budget.

But did ever your "good" campaigns became "bad" next month? ROAS is tricky metric, especially in ecommerce stores where sometimes you sell 20 products in June getting 1000% ROAS, then next month you are getting 300% ROAS selling same amount of products for the same cost per conversion. 

Also broad match modifier keywords are giving huge amount of unique search terms each day so you can't be 100% confident about them so set unreasonably huge budgets. 

So let's face fact - there are situations when accelerated will give you more clicks compared to standart if your budget is not unreasonably huge. @Jon_Gritton

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency