2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

About matching close variants keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Does Google AdWords match my keywords for close variants like photos / pictures / pics?

If my phrase match type keyword is home photos, does AdWords match my ads with queries like home pics or home pictures?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: About matching close variants keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello

Yes , in phrase match your ad will show to customers who are searching for your exact keyword and close variants of your exact keyword.

for clear example you can use : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497584

Hope it works!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi HomeBA A,

Google definitely adds close variants, and it is very good at it, thanks to artificial intelligence / machine learning.

However, what you or I think is a close variant, and what the AI thinks can be different.

There's no definitive way of checking, although you can use the Keyword Planner. If Google considers two keywords or key phrases to be close variants, it will estimate the same number of searches for each of them.

Otherwise, after the fact, you can check the search terms report to see which search queries matched your keyword.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@HomeBA A;

In broad match keyword SYNONOMS are considered close variants;
In phrase and exact match plurals male female (in language support male /female - e.g. French, or German) and verb forms (e.g. gurend) are close variants, as well as daily variants adopted into the spoken language (e.g. misspelling)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

About matching close variants keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi HomeBA A,

AdWords will, under certain circumstances explained by others here, match synonyms as close variants. A couple things you might consider:

1. The three terms may have different performance, so you may want to bid separately.
2. You might want to match up queries for photos with an ad that says photos, and queries for pictures show an ad that says pictures. You'd have to put them in separate ad groups to do that.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords