Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

A question about ad groups + modified broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

My first post here - looking forward to being a part of the community, and contribute when I can. :-)

Can anyone clearify the following for me?

Lets say that I am targetting the base keyword "lamps", and would like to create a few ad groups based on that.

Adgroup 1: +lamps

Adgroup 2: +lamps +bedroom

Adgroup 3: +lamps +kitchen

Adgroup 4: +lamps +outdoor

Am I correct in my assumption, that Adgroup 1+2 will trigger for the search "bedroom lamps"? If yes, to restrict Adgroup 2 to be the only triggered, would I simply add a negative keyword "-bedroom" to Adgroup 1?

Hope my question makes sense? :-)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A question about ad groups + modified broad match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I think you are referring in your question to keywords and not to ad-groups;

And the answer is no. With Broad Modified Match (aka BMM) the + indicates that the word must be included in the search query to be matched to a keyword.

The search query is "bedroom lamps" while keyword # 1 has only the word "lamps"

See this discussion which covers a similar question  and give a full list of examples.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Keyword-Match-Type/td-p/150452/page/2

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Actually, I am talking about ad Groups. Each ad Group, has it's own advert and landing page. I am trying to understand / figure out if the above is a correct solution to channel closely related keyword searches into the right adgroup / advert.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The process works differently;

One keyword or a few  keywords are  selected during the auction to be    matched to the    search query. 

The search query is not matched  to an ad-group, no matter if  KWa  are (all) in the same ad-group  or ("spread")  in different ad groups.

If more than one keyword matches to a search query, then, the keyword with the highest ad-rank (with some exceptions) will trigger the ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scan Studio L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Scan Studio L, further to Moshe's comments, I'll add my own perspective as I think I understand where you're coming from.

Yes, in theory for a search query of "bedroom lamps", the Keywords in Ad Group#1 and Ad Group#2 could both match the search term, since although +lamps doesn't include "bedroom", the single keyword used merely demands that "lamp" is in the search term, and it is.  However, in practice, AdWords will most likely match "bedroom lamps" to the Keyword in Ad Group #2 because it more closely matches the search term.  The first example given on this page:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

is pretty close to the situation you're describing.

I would actually caution against using negatives to force matches in one direction or another when you have multiple options.  AdWords will seek to use the best match for any search term and since it is possible to have a higher Ad Rank with a lower CPC (as shown in the exceptions example on the above page), this chioice can mean you pay less per click.

Also note that a modified Broad Match used as a single word only differs from a "simple" Broad match in one respect - modified Broad Matches don't match against synonyms and some of the wider variations that simple Broad matches do.  If you're looking to capture the most traffic - if only as an initial test - you may find you'd want to use the simple Broad term lamps, rather than +lamps, though this particular term will generate a very large amount of traffic, so be prepared.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both!
I now know which direction to take, and will start implenting :-)