AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

A little help with the Display Planner

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello everybody,
I have a quick question about the Display Planner. I want to show my ads on very specific websites about travel and found a great shortlist of sites specialized in that. When I go into some of those websites I can see that they show banners from Google's Display Network, so I think "great, let's see their stats, unique visitors, impressions, etc". But when I search for those websites on the Display Planner (either entering their URL, or a keyword) there's not way I can find them! But I do know for a fact that they have been showing Google Ads in there.

I know I could simply edit a managed placement and enter the desired site's URL, but I still find it intriguing that I couldn't find some of those sites on the Display Planner.
Any thoughts on this?

PS: I thought it could have something to do with traffic, but it isn't the case. I checked the media kit for one of those sites and they have an impressive number of visitors and over half a million facebook followers. So, they're pretty massive, then it couldn't be that... And yet, they do show Google Ads.

Cheers!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos T
November 2015

Re: A little help with the Display Planner

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Carlos,

Google's DoubleClick is a bigger platform which offers services not only for publishers but also for advertisers. Advertisers who need high traffic inventories, media buying, cross channel advertising etc from a single platform usually go with DoubleClick. AdWords is not the only platform in it.

You can read about it here https://www.doubleclickbygoogle.com/solutions/digital-marketing/

Thanks
Ratan

Sent from mobile, excuse the typo if any.

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Carlos,

Not sure why that would be the case, but I'm happy to take a look. Can you please share a few of the websites you were trying to find in the Display Planner?

Thanks!
Cassie

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Carlos T,

As far as I know Google Publishers have three ways to sign up with Google to show ads and earn revenue for their traffic. These three ways are -

1. AdSense
  2. AdMob
  3. Ad Exchange

In general, the ads from AdWords advertisers can show up on the inventories from all these three publishing platforms. But Ad Exchange is a bigger platform and is restricted to high traffic website owners only. The Ad Exchange Publishers have option or say privilege  not to allow ads from AdWords advertisers to show up on their inventory.

This is the reason you may come across several websites which show Google's ads but they are not available under AdWords placement targeting option.

To know more about how Ad Exchange works, read this article -

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472739?hl=en

Does that help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the replies!

@CassieH, here are some of the websites I'm talking about:
viajologoexisto.com.br
360meridianos.com
turomaquia.com
(the latter two have been alternating Ads by Google and "Ad Choices")

@Ratan-Jha,
I guess it makes sense that bigger publishers would have that choice. But if they chose not to allow AdWords ads, how come they serve Ads by Google? I mean, is there another way to do it through Google, apart from the AdWords' GDN?
Cause the only other way I can think of it would be ad spots that are negotiated directly with them, but then again it wouldn't show as "Google Ads".

Sorry if I'm a bit confusing here, as I'm still fairly new to Display Network Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos T
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Carlos,

Google's DoubleClick is a bigger platform which offers services not only for publishers but also for advertisers. Advertisers who need high traffic inventories, media buying, cross channel advertising etc from a single platform usually go with DoubleClick. AdWords is not the only platform in it.

You can read about it here https://www.doubleclickbygoogle.com/solutions/digital-marketing/

Thanks
Ratan

Sent from mobile, excuse the typo if any.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Carlos,

Just did a quick search, and like Ratan said, this is likely a case where those particular sites are not available for advertising through the Display Network. You can always try adding those sites as manual placements when you set up your targeting, but just be aware that they may not receive traffic.

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
That must be the reason then.
Thanks for the replies once again!