5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

A common one - My ad doesn't appear

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My account has been showing $100 credit for one week now. My ad is marked as elligible, and I set it to enable one week ago, I have a max cpc of $0.50 and a daily budget of $25. The Traffic Estimator indicates 3285 impressions and around 50 click throughs on those parameters. But I still haven't got a single impression. I called "tech support" and they said everything looked fine and it might take a few days to start working. Here's my question, is it normal to take one week or more or is it that the traffic estimator is seriously misleading and twenty five bucks a day won't even get me a single impression? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A common one - My ad doesn't appear

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello AmeriCam; welcome:

Check this FAQs article: it will guide you through the process to "pinpoint" the reason:

Frequently Asked Questions by New Advertisers

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks MosheTLV, I guess the main focus in the suggested reading is the diagnostics. I had already tried that, but no harm in trying again. The screen tells me : Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score.     (doesn't that contradict the traffic estimator?) Anyway, I tried the "what can I do". Based on all the information I can find, 50 cents appears to be relatively high and so possibly the issue is Quality Score. The Quality score suggests checking the bubble on the status column. That tells me 4/10 and average for each of the click through, relevance, and landing page experience.
So I seem to be going around in a circle. Information presented says my ad isn't displayed, but indicates 'average' and the traffic estimator suggests several thousand impression potential. Zero wouldn't strike me as an average relating to several thousand.

I'm very happy to do my homework and jump through all the hoops. But could you or anyone else possibly suggest why this is so baffling?  

The fact that the 'tech support' told me everything was fine and the numbers showing on my campaign screen indicated I should be high up the first page on a Google search, I wonder if there is anything else I can try apart from calling the support line again?

I just wonder, from your experience, is Google AdWords usually reliable or am I wasting my time? Is the traffic estimator usually totally misleading and should a new advert take a week or more before it works?    

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again AmeriCam;

Quote:

is Google AdWords usually reliable or am I wasting my time?

AdWords is a reliable tool with a clear algorithm. (Otherwise, you wouldn't find that billions of dollars in Advertising revenues - Would you?)

However, it is also a statistical tool; So if your Campaign is new it might not have yet enough data for an accurate estimate...

Please note that AdRank is defined as QS multiplied by your bid. Thus., if it's low either your bid is low, or your QS is low. The outcome: your ad does not win a slot in the auction.

Watch this, all times classic video, by Hal Varian - Google's chief economist, on AdWords auction 101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStNy_PImyQ

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV

Thanks for the video link, it has confirmed a number of aspects for me.

I wonder if you can give me a personal suggestion on what to do next? I used the various tools available such as selecting key words and set bids and daily rate etc. My bid appears to be high so going by the video link that you provided, I am now focusing on the QS.

In the video, relating to influence, it is stated that "the biggest one by far is click through rate". But as my ad doesn't appear then I can't expect any click throughs.

"Relevancy is the second largest component of score". I am using a suggested list of search words provided by Google after I entered our URL. All suggestions relate in one way or another to backup camera which is not surprising because that is what we manufacture, market and sell. So I should be ok with relevancy?

"The third component is landing page quality". Our landing page introduces only backup cameras and we come out at the top of Google's usual searches if any of our part numbers or product names are used. For example k1 backup camera shows us in the 1st and 3rd postion (search results - not ad postion). That, ties in with the Google search word suggestions all coming from our web site and leads me to think that landing page quality should be ok?

So if our site is 100% relevant to the topic, our bid is at or above the suggested level, but our ad is never shown how can we improve the quality score?

I reviewed the Find keyword suggestion tool again and only entered our web site again, it leads to the traffic estimator still suggesting 54-66 clicks with 2565 - 3134 impressions. But the bottom line is our ad isn't showing.

I just noticed that in the ad I have used the words "Backup and front view cameras", could that be the problem? ie. the ad doesn't say "backup camera and front camera". Although when I Google 'backup and front view cameras' it shows a very similar list of ads to just searching with backup camera. Plus I thought the ad placement should relate to the keywords list on not the precise sentence structure of the ad itself?

You mentioned "the outcome: your ad doesn not win a slot in the auction". Does that effectively mean that because our ad doesn't appear we have a low QS and because we have a low QS our ad won't appear?    

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again AmeriCam;

Your initial QS, until you gain enough impressions , (approx 1000) is calculated based on other advertisers' QS using the same KWs. (That's a bit simplifying - but this the general idea). After obtaining 1000 impressions, the main and most "heavy" component of QS is CTR.

You need to improve your QS , by working on your keywords' match type, landing page and ad- copy. Check this suggested reading:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello MosheTLV

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate you taking the time.

Google adwords-support got back to me and it looks like we have now solved it. Basically their e-mail highlighted the "Est. first page bid" column, so I went into the options, changed them to display that column, increased my max cpc to $2.00, and 'presto' not only did my ad immediately start to show, it appeared up around the top of the page. In conclusion my bid was way too low, hence zero impressions.

As a side topic though, and only out of curiosity, how come the traffic estimator indicates a potential of thousands of impressions based on my old max cpc of $0.50, while the estimated first page bid shows a totally different story. We are talking about 400% here. It appears to me to be two substantial different estimates even though they are both based on identical criteria. I've gone from zero impressions in one week to several hundred within hours; if only I had totally ignored the traffic estimator.

Re: Traffic Estimator cost estimations

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again AmeriCam;

You are right on that. First, the traffic estimator as its name calls for is an "estimate", with an (apparently significant) error.

I personally, take the "estimator" figure (only) as a "first shot".

Second: I am not familiar with your campaign, but I do have the feeling, that some work could be done to improve QS and reduce cost.

What are you QS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again Moshe,

It looks like my QS are all 4/10 or 5/10. I spent (or should that be invested) several hours today cleaning up keywords and bids and now I am starting to get the hang of it. Yesterday I got 2468 impressions with 11 click through, so about 0.45% CTR. If people were shopping, my calculation is top side of 2000 just went the wrong way. Is there any such thing as a typical CTR? I've split my products into groups and started on multiple ads. Knowing what I now know, my original ad was simply way to broad but I don't want to pause or delete it until the other ads start to get some traction.

Am I missing the point, or would it be better to have more ad groups with very specific keywords as opposed to less ads with more keywords? From a number of video's and help pages that I looked at, it would seem using fewer specific keywords is better than more generalised terms. Certainly a 0.45% CTR sounds quite bad to me. My only thought is that my original keywords were pulling my ad up on pages that were not so relevant.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again AmeriCam;

Yes; I agree. Even by Google's own standards a CTR of less than 1% is low,

You need to work on your ad-copy and keywords

There are different approaches to do that. All would work. The one you pick depends on your personal preferences and the business you are in.

I would not start to outline them here, since they can be easily found using the advanced search:

Look for "keywords match type", "bidding strategy", "low CTR". You will find many discussions covering these topics.