AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

A Google Account can only have access to one AdWords account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am adding a new email account to our Adwords account. The person received the link and clicked through and somehow created a new adwords account rather than accept the innovation to share our existing account. Now when they go to join our existing account it gets the following message.

"A Google Account can only have access to one AdWords account. 
The Google Account advertising@advancedaffordablehearing.com already has access to an AdWords account."

I went in and canceled the new account they just set up but I still get the message. Is there anyway to resolve this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A Google Account can only have access to one AdWords account.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sean C,

That page is confusing and I sure wish Google would fix it. Thing is, when you get to that page from an invite, you need to select "I already have an account", which is confusing because the user does not have an account.

Once an email address has been added to any AdWords account, you can't use that address for another account without first removing that email address from the account. I've posted, as have others, on how to do that. It's not exactly simple, but it's not hard either.

See if you can find one of those posts here. If not, post back and I'll write it all again for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: A Google Account can only have access to one AdWords account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks petebardo, I've read your other related posts, and they're very helpful. Unfortunately (maybe due to an upgraded interface?) I'm not seeing anything resembling "I already have an account". Here are the steps I'm taking to disconnect an account, and the results I'm getting.

Let's assume two accounts:

original: the email (google) account requesting to be removed from AdWords

new: the "dummy" email account being added to clear out the original

These are the steps I followed:

1. Original account logs into Adwords. Clicks the gear icon. Selects account settings. Selects Account access. Clicks Users button. Enters the "new account" email address. Chooses access level: administrative access. Clicks Send invitation. Logs out.

2. New account logs into email. Accepts AdWords invitation by clicking link from within email. Is presented with "Create Google Account" screen, and two options:

a. I have an email address and password I already use with Google services like AdSense, Gmail, YouTube, or Google+.

b. I do not use these other services.

Chooses "I have an email address and password I already use...". (Note: This is where I expected to see "I already have an account", but it's not an option.) This selection opens up another set of options:

a. I'd like to use my existing Google account to log into AdWords.

b. I'd like to create a new Google Account with a username and password I'll use just for AdWords.

Still trying to avoid creating a new account, selects "I'd like to use my existing Google account...". Sees a prompt to "Sign in to AdWords with the existing email address and password that you use to access other Google services". Is confused. Signs in with the "new account" email address. Sees another prompt to confirm password. Confirms password. Is taken to the AdWords front door. By all accounts, appears to have created a new AdWords account, not joined an existing one. Logs out.

3. Original account logs into Adwords. Clicks the gear icon. Selects account settings. Selects Account access. Sees "new account" still under Pending. Only options are to resend or revoke invitation.

Thanks