Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

A/B Testing between multiple domains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

Thanks for taking your time to look at this, and apologies if it's in the wrong place!

I'm currently looking to test multiple domain URLs using adwords. Basically seeing which gets the most interest.

I'm looking to keep all content acros the adverts the same, I'm simply changing the title and the URL for each advert:

Example - 1st advert URL - www.CheapYellowCar.com   / 2nd advert URL -  www.ExpensiveRedCar.com

I was told I'm only allowed more than one URL per AdGroup if I'm to use 'Experiment' under campaign settings.

I've switched this on and messed around with it, to no avail. 

If anyone can tell me what to do, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks again!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A/B Testing between multiple domains

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Max,

IMO, you should do this without "Experiments". I would only use "Experiments" to test more drastic changes to an existing campaign.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. But, it seems to me you are starting both campaigns at the same time and just want to test Ad copy & displayed URL. If that's the case, I would only create different ads and set ads to rotate evenly.

Diogo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Diogo,

Thanks for the response!

I currently have one campaign and one AdGroup with multiple adverts.

I get this message under the reason Google disapprove my adverts: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en-GB&rd=1

I simply want to test 5 adverts with the same content, but different URLs. Google Support told me to use "Experiments" but that has not worked. I simply need the same advert to rotate between 5 URLs, I'll then get an idea which URL gets the most attention.

Thanks so far Diogo!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Max,

If you only want to test URL's, that's something it won't work on the same Campaign as Google won't allow it.

I've never used "Experiments" for that purpose, could you please explain why isn't working?

Diogo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It basically says, "[Display URL] One Display URL domain per ad group"

My issue is how do I test various domains? Use a separate AdGroup for each new URL advert?

Then the next problem will be, when rotating ads evenly this only works within an AdGroup and not evenly between all AdGroups?

Thanks so far Diogo!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Max,

AdWords does not allow to run ads with multiple domain in single adgroups. You can only use one domain in one adgroups.

Please read the below link for more info :-

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

Thanks a lot for your input.

I fully understand the requirements, but I don't know how to perform the task I'm trying to do.

How would I have lets say 5 advertisements with the same content, but different URLs? I'm doing it as a test to compare the CTR on the URL variations. I've read online other people performing the same test, they don't explain how to set it up in Adwords though.

Thanks again Rakesh!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

As far as I know, as of today you can't easily achieve what you want. Over time AdWords policies have become more restrict in terms of URLs usage.

Different ad groups wont work, because of what you mention and also, you would be duplicating keywords and ads would compete with each other.

You can create an ad group for each domain and run one at a time for a few days. After a while you will be able to compare CTR between them. You just need to be careful to make sure the number of Impressions for each ad group are almost the same for them all.

This isn't ideal, but can't think of another way of achieving this.

This isn't great, but you won't be able to do this whilst having only one ad group.

Diogo

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Max, it depends upon what exactly it is you're testing.  If it is simply the domain name itself, i.e. the actual websites are identical but the URLs are different, I would argue that you could do a great deal of work and are unlikely to end up with any meaningful results.  In my opinion the influence of domain names is greatly exaggerated, especially when compared to the very large and obvious influences of good Ad copy, good Keyword choice, etc.

If the content is actually different then the problem you face here is that AdWords performance can only truly be measured across a period of time, not for any one visit.  If, say, you were able to A/B test on a 50:50 basis so that visitor 1 goes to URL A and visitor 2 goes to URL B and so on then what happens when visitor 2 comes back tomorrow (or two hours later) and is sent to URL A?  Many Campaigns have a "conversion path" that requires more than one visit and visit figures of more than 3 are not uncommon before a final conversion.  To perform any kind of effective test you would therefore need to direct all visitors to URL A for a period of time - more than a month probably - and then direct all visitors to URL B for the same period.  The problem with that approach is that you then run into the chance of seasonal variations - you almost certainly couldn't compare the figures for URL A in December with the figures for URL B in Janauary, for example.

As to other online references to this sort of testing, I regret that many posts I've read on the topic simply overlook the above and talk as though the only visitor traffic is on a one visit = one sale basis, which is far from reality.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot guys for your input, I'm very grateful!

So I tried using the Experiments beta tool which Google Support told me would work for what I'm trying to do, but no luck yet. If I work it out I'll leave a small write up!

If I don't work it out I'll just run each add for 24-48 hours and hope to get similar impression rates.