3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

5.06% CTR - Bad relevance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a new adwords user. The first two days my keyword quality scores were about 4/10. Now they are all 3/10, and my ads are no longer being shown. My keyword relevances are now classed as bad, downgraded from being good.

My top keyword has 5.06% CTR for the first two days. Is that generally a bad result for a keyword? My second keyword has 2.56%.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 5.06% CTR - Bad relevance?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lars and welcome to the forum.

There are no hard and fast rules about what are good, or bad, CTR figures.  Some products/services may lend themselves to a very high CTR with little effort from the advertiser, while others may need a lot of work to get even 1 or 2%.  Even comparing similar products is pointless as CTR (and other metrics) can vary from country to country, even region to region and so much depends upon the wording of the Ad(s), the keywords used, their match type, etc.

In your case, with scores of 3 or 4 - and if you're seeing a message about relevance then the issue isn't (just) your CTR.  Relevance refers not just to the relevance of the ad to the search term, but to the whole "chain", from a user entering a keyword in search, to the ad, to the landing page.

Take a look at your search terms being used (use the See search terms option under the Keywords tab) and then think about whether the actual terms being typed in are good matches for your keywords, your ad copy, and whether your landing page(s) reflect the sort of thing people are looking for.

You may also like to look at page load time - another factor in calculating Quality Score, one that's often overlooked.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply, Jon.

I am trying to understand the concept of relevance. In my case the keyword is the name of an organization with a few hundred thousand members. I have written a book about the organization. Googole considers an ad about this book having bad relevance for members of the organization when they enter the keyword. Hard to figure out the logic here.

Lars

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lars, relevancy can sometimes be confusing when everything you see appears to be relevant!

It's difficult to give truly constructive advice without knowing quite a bit more about your site, the keywords you're using and the ads, etc. but I'll try...

Given what you've said, I wonder if the poor relevance is down to the fact that people are searching for the organisation and not the book.  I can't be certain exactly how Google measures relevance (it's nowhere near as simple as just matching keywords) but I'd imagine time on site would be a factor - if all your visitors leave very quickly after landing that's a good indication your site isn't relevant to their search - or at least doesn't appear to be. 

Rather than using keywords focusing on the organisation name, you may do better (if not already) trying to focus on people looking for information or simply books about the organisation.  Again, looking at the search terms used may help here but you may also get some good ideas from the Keyword Tool where the search term is specifically looking for literary or other works about the organisation.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Jon,

I'll look into the tools you have suggested. Now my ad seems to be (temporarily?) shown again with quality 3/10 and bad relevance. Sigh....

Lars

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Lars,

I would be very surprised to learn Google includes bounce rate, time on site, pages viewed or even conversion rate when calculating QS or relevancy. All Google is concered with is getting the click and the revenue. Along with this comes the trust issue--trusting that Google is presenting relevant results that will lead to reputable and honest web sties.

AdBot will examine the content of your landing page and your ad copy to determine relevancy. Manual reviews will include things like ease of navigation and site-wide policy compliance.

If these two keywords are broad match, I'd run the search terms report as Jon suggests. It may be that your ads are showing for queries you don't expect. That could lower your QS. If you find search terms that perform well, add them as either phrase or exact match, or both. If you find search terms that do not perform well, add them as negative match.

I would be ecstatic with a CTR of 5%, but I'm in a very specialized market. Whether that's good or bad depends on your market and how that keyword performs for other advertisers. If other advertisers realize 10% CTR on the same keyword that pulls 5% for you, that's not good and could affect your QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords