2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

3rd party tracking with adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you use a 3rd party tracking pixel for retargeting using a DSP with Google Adwords traffic?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 3rd party tracking with adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'm not sure I understand the question right, but the thing is that once somebody lands on a page, irrespective of the traffic source (AdWords, organic, direct), you can fire any tracking pixel on that page.

Once the pixel has fired and the cookie is set, that user/browser will see the ads you want her to see once she browses sites that are serving them.

What you cannot do is have people see GDN ads based on the presence of a 3rd party tracking pixel, because Google uses its own cookie set by doubleclick in order to serve ads.

Am I making any sense or did I miss it completely?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can I drive traffic to a page using adwords ppc that has an Ad roll tracking pixel on it and then retarget that traffic using ad roll?

I have been told this is against Adwords TOS but can't find it anywhere.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's against the AdWords policies to do arbitrage, but that is driving traffic via AdWords only to have people click on another set of ads that take them elsewhere, with the goal of pocketing the difference. That is, of course, assuming that you can sell traffic at a higher price than you buy it.

Here's the policy: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/190442?hl=en

But if the website you're advertising does comply with all AdWords policies then you can certainly retarget people via third party solutions such as AdRoll. I'm doing it myself and many others are doing it as well.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I also use AdRoll for a few of my clients - and have found them to get better results on GDN remarketing than I can get myself. Of course, I am also then getting remarketing on other platforms such as FBX - provided as Calin explains above, provided you are not simply pushing the traffic through your site to get a commission, there's not issue.