star_border

30k+ Keywords Too Many?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Please see my questions below:

Question 1:

I'm about to launch a campaign with 30k+ keywords (includes broad,phrase and negative), approx 5k adgroups and 5k ads.

Of course, all non-negative keywords are very relevant to my landing page and ads.

I've basically been playing with Excel to come up with thousands of keyword combinations.

Is Google 100% fine with us launching campaigns of this size?

Question 2:

The product name of the product I'm advertising has multiple variations even though it's the same product. Is it frowned upon if I dynamically change the page title within the <h1> tag to the keyword that the user searched for?

We rely on Google for our income, and want to be sure that we are following it's polcies 100%, so wanted to be sure here before we launch anything.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Machew
September 2015

Re: 30k+ Keywords Too Many?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Matt;

I am with Pankaj ; 30,000 KWs is, IMHO, is impossible to manage. The "20-80 rule" usually applies: 20% of the keywords bring 80% of the clicks.

I would first work on the list of keywords, to restructure it to drastically reduce the number of keywords. (Please note, that with the many options of "closed variants" available these days, e.g "broad match modifier", you can have one KW that covers many "variants" )

As far as the second question: One of the requirements, is that Google's bots that crawl pages "see" the same page as users. Make sure that your dynamic changes, don't set to serve bots with different content than served for real users.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I can read there, it does not seems you're doing anything wrong with your campaigns and keywords. I don't think it will be a problem for Google, unless your product does not comply with Google policies.

Dynamic keyword insertion in the landing page is usually performing quite well, so I would definitely recommend it.

Having a large amount of keywords is not a problem. What could become a problem, however, is to manage them if you're not properly organized. Keep an eye very early when the campaign starts, to see if you're not burning your budget too fast.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

30k keywords in a single campaign. I think that's a huge number considering one campaign only. Honestly, this looks to be daunting task as far as campaign creation is concerned. However, the important thing is to manage it after the creation of whole sort of keywords, ad copies etc...Of course the limit inside one account is much more beyond that. You can look at the real numbers in this article.

I would advise you to look at the quality of your keywords, rather than looking at the quantity because that's the main ingredient of a successful Adwords account. Read this article to see how to build successful keywords list.

As far as the second question is concerned, I personally have not tried the dynamic pages using user's search query. But there are dynamic ads which are getting popular and are out of beta version. You might want to consider creating Dynamic Search ads for your long list of products.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Machew
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Matt;

I am with Pankaj ; 30,000 KWs is, IMHO, is impossible to manage. The "20-80 rule" usually applies: 20% of the keywords bring 80% of the clicks.

I would first work on the list of keywords, to restructure it to drastically reduce the number of keywords. (Please note, that with the many options of "closed variants" available these days, e.g "broad match modifier", you can have one KW that covers many "variants" )

As far as the second question: One of the requirements, is that Google's bots that crawl pages "see" the same page as users. Make sure that your dynamic changes, don't set to serve bots with different content than served for real users.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the advice all! I decided to launch a smaller campaign based on this advice. Have a nice day, Matt

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sorry for expanding on this further, but can you please just explain what you mean by making sure Google bots can see the same page as users?

What I'm thinking of doing, is passing the keyword used to my landing page. That keyword (where relevant), will be part of both the landing page URL AND the title of the page inside the <h1> tag. Can doing this confuse Google bot?