AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

2 similar phrase match keywords in 2 different Ad Groups.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Probably an obvious question and no doubt it's been asked before, but I've searched and I can't quite find the same question so forgive me for asking again.

If I have 2 similar phrase match keywords in two different Ad Groups, how is it determined which will be shown for a certain query. An example below.

Ad Group 1 - Cheap:

Keyword = "Cheap Widget"

Ad Group 2 - Providers:

Keyword = "Widget Providers"

Which would be triggered on a search for - cheap widget providers - and why?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul E
September 2015

Re: 2 similar phrase match keywords in 2 different Ad Groups.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This is not as easy; sometimes the more restrictive match type wins and sometimes the keyword with higher ad-rank takes over.

And, as usual, many exceptions;

Read more: (Make yourself a cup of coffee before starting, and find a quite place....This is a long article,)

How similar keywords match to search terms

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Paul E,

Welcome 

I am not sure but i think in this case Adword will give priority to that keyword which have good CTR,Ad rank & low CPC compared to the other keyword.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul E
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This is not as easy; sometimes the more restrictive match type wins and sometimes the keyword with higher ad-rank takes over.

And, as usual, many exceptions;

Read more: (Make yourself a cup of coffee before starting, and find a quite place....This is a long article,)

How similar keywords match to search terms

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much for this - this looks like it will have the answer to my question. I shall get reading Smiley Happy