AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

2-3 keyword phrases

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, I've a practical question here... when you start a campaign containing a no. of 2-3 keyword phrases "do you use BMM broad match modifier or phrase match right from the stage 1 or initially wait for some time n go with broad match & then use these options (if required). Thanks, Linda
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: 2-3 keyword phrases

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Linda,

Let me try answer your query:

I always prefer to start with all available match types, so that I can measure search query report and find out which match type is performing best. And accordingly I optimize my campaign. 

Sometimes I prefer to choose one between broad and BMM because some niche markets are very general then I prefer BMM instead of broad. If the niche market is not so popular, I do not find any issue in using broad match type.

When you use broad match type it is very important to analyze search query report very frequently to weed out all unwanted queries.

BMM and phrase match types both work differently:

BMM: close variations but not synonyms or related searches - Here word order does not remain same

Phrase Match: a phrase and close variants of that phrase - Here word order will remain same.

I also start with bid explicit, I keep higest bid for exact match keywords, little less for phrase match and least of broad match keywords.

You may want to read about:

Google Help Center: Keyword Matching option

TC Tom: Keyword Match type for search

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Linda,

Let me try answer your query:

I always prefer to start with all available match types, so that I can measure search query report and find out which match type is performing best. And accordingly I optimize my campaign. 

Sometimes I prefer to choose one between broad and BMM because some niche markets are very general then I prefer BMM instead of broad. If the niche market is not so popular, I do not find any issue in using broad match type.

When you use broad match type it is very important to analyze search query report very frequently to weed out all unwanted queries.

BMM and phrase match types both work differently:

BMM: close variations but not synonyms or related searches - Here word order does not remain same

Phrase Match: a phrase and close variants of that phrase - Here word order will remain same.

I also start with bid explicit, I keep higest bid for exact match keywords, little less for phrase match and least of broad match keywords.

You may want to read about:

Google Help Center: Keyword Matching option

TC Tom: Keyword Match type for search

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Basically, I have the same procedures as Neha, but I skip broad match totally, because of bad experiences of that. Instead, if I want a keywords be contained in the search query but not necessarily a specific or any other keyword, I use phrase match for a single keyword ("keyword").

Use this tool to create keyword tools quickly

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David, thanks for the link. Its very useful tool and I think it can save my lots of time of writing variation of keywords Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Linda;

I am with Dave on the "broad match" . Since the introduction of modified broad, I rarely use "broad match". In another discussion, yesterday, on "broad match", Pete also said, that he hardly uses "broad match.

Broad match is "too broad". However in a niche market (e.g scientific), where "broad is not that broad" in terms of synonyms - you can try "broad . ( I gave an example in the discussion of NN-Labs )

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Folks,

I haven't faced any issues with broad match so far handled many business models and constantly using broad match. I even feel for some portals even broad match works the best such as "dating portal". I think one can keep long tail keywords in broad if not two three phrase. Long tail broad keywords does not bring many irrelavant queries. It's my thought only Robot Happy!

Although my favoraite match type is Phrase Smiley Tongue

Thanks

Neha