AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

10/10 Quality Score, Max Bid... Still Not Top of Google?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excuse me if the question is dumb but I know absolutely nothing about adwords. I set up a very optimized campaign with specific keywords, ad groups and ads but I was still getting 6-7/10 QS. Today I used one of the oppurtunity tabs and learned that all my words were on broad match and 60-70% of my clicks had nothing to do with my business. I got rid of those keywords, make all keywords into "phrase matches" and suddenly most of my scores increased to 8-10/10 QS.

I was happy until I used the ad preview and saw that I still wasn't in the top ads. I experimented with raising my bids but still was on the side. It's weird though because even though my QS is 10/10, the notes all read "average" and not "above average."

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 10/10 Quality Score, Max Bid... Still Not Top of Google?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin,
This is probably a quirk in AdWords I started noticing when QS first came out (and every day since then).

The quality scores in your account don't actually reflect the current live quality score (which is actually calculated at the time of the auction). Additionally, the displayed quality score is only for the exact match version of the keyword.

I'd wait a few hours or even a day before it settles and starts displaying quality score values that are somewhat useful.

Additionally, please note that just because you have 10/10 quality score (if you really do), all other things being equal with your competitors (if they have a 10/10 score too), what will decide the top spot is the bid. You will never know what your competitors are bidding.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

In addition to Dave's answer, please note that for a new keyword added,  you are assigned initially, a "default" QS, based on other advertisers QS for a given KW. (Again, based on the exact match form of the KW). This is until there his enough statistical data, or enough time has passed, for (the system to calculate)  a  reliable statistical analysis, based on the performance of the KW in your campaign.

Also remember, that QS is  a relative metric. Thus, in a  very competitive field, it's hard to "strike"  the average QS....  Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kevin,

Just to add to the above discussion where ad rank is depending on QS and bids of your keyword . But with very recent change google has introduced third component  called  ad extensions in adrank calculation 

So if your competitors are bidding with same bids for same keyword with same QS. Still they may differ on extension usage and may take advantage of it. May be by adding extensions to your campaign you can better your ad position.

Just to mention nothing guarntees in adwords 1st position (always) ,as ad rank depends on many factors.

But still you can choose to be in top three position on search page by using top of the page bids through adwords auto bidders.

Good read

Improving Ad Rank to show more relevant ad extensions and formats Understanding ad position and Ad Rank

hope this helps