5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

10/10 Quality Score, High Bid, Keyword not triggering ads due to low Ad Rank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there! First time on these forums but I've seen some great responses on here so I decided to give it a shot!

I've been seeing some success with a couple recent keywords. My quality score is 10/10, my average CPC is around $0.40, and they convert well. (Also, my CTR is 11%)  However, recently, my impressions and clicks have gone down dramatically (there's still 150ish impressions and maybe 10 clicks a day) and upon scrolling over "Eligible" I see the following:

"Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score."

I am confused as I have a 10/10 quality score and I've even raised my max CPC to $2.00 (yet the clicks I get during this low traffic period is still only costing me between 30 and 60 cents.) 

What can I do to ensure that my ads are showing and that my impressions increase? I've heard that ad extensions are also a part of this formula, I have 6 approved extensions all with CTR's above 10%. 

Another note is that when I use the keyword diagnosis, it seems that my ads are showing on desktop (although that's hard to believe due to the low impressions) but they aren't showing on mobile (although mobile is currently showing more impressions and clicks.)

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

3 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Suggestion: on the "Keywords" tab in AdWords, use the "Columns>Modify Columns" button choice to add these three columns:

Est. first position bid

Est. top page bid

Est. first position bid

The numbers in these columns tell you, for each keyword (taking into account your Quality Score) how high you must bid to get onto the first page of Google search results, appear near the top, or appear in the first position. These are average numbers, your position may vary each time there is a search (auction).  You should bid at least as high as "Est. first page bid". 

If you post those estimated bid numbers from Google, it will enable us to have a better idea what the issue may be.

Keep in mind, each time your ad is up for display on a SERP, it is a unique auction event; so these are only bid ESTIMATES. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

Firstly, Thank you very much for your response! I appreciate it very much! 

For these three columns, this is the dataL

Est. first position bid: $0.25
Est. top page bid: $0.50

Est. first position bid: $1.57

I have just adjusted my max CPC to $3.00. Also, I will note, this campaign is only running two key-words. Both of them are the exact same thing, but one is the plural and one isn't. I did both to test which works best but I assume just using the non-plural would still show results for the plural as it would display the exact match and close variants. However, I've found that I've received a good number of conversions from both so I've always just run both. Is it okay to run both? Or should I just pick the non-plural and expect that it'll also show for the close variant plural form? I've noticed that the three columns noted above differ by 5-50 cents each when comparing the plural vs non-plural. (Although this is leading into another topic, I just want to ensure I am providing enough information so that something like this isn't the underlying issue that's leading to my ad's not showing as often as I'd wish.)

I also have my bid strategy set as: Target search page location -> top of the first page results, $3.00 max CPC. 

For the data above, I am going to run this campaign for 12 hours at $100 budget and see if the impressions improve and I will report back. 

Thanks again for your response, I look forward to hearing back and I look forward to seeing if these small adjustments I made will make a difference.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It is ok to run both singular and plural versions of the keywords; but it is not necessary.  Google will match both cases.  With just a single keyword, no harm done. 

What match type are you using?  How large is your Geo targeted area?  Just don't share anything you aren't OK with on a public web page, as this is a public forum on the wwwSmiley Happy

If it was mine, i would lift the setting for Targeting the search page location, go to Manual CPC, and leave the $3 bid, run it for a while.  Get a baseline, then you can experiment with automated bidding once you know the manual bidding baseline. 

Automated bid strategies introduce constraints and often lead to "unforeseen complications". 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

I've taken your suggestion and set it to a manual CPC at max CPC $3.00. Now I see the estimated bid is around $1.50, but I will leave my max CPC at $3.00 to try and capture more data and make sure my Ads are running (to ensure it wasn't a cpc/budget issue preventing me from running ads.) I appreciate your advice lots! I am going to try this out for 12 hours and will post back with the results! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sounds good SuperDrive.  Keep in mind there is a delay of a few hours in reporting data. 

Don't worry about the bid being up at $3, Google won't charge you more than it takes to win the auction.

There are plenty of super-sharp PPC people on this forum so keep on the lookout for other good ideas to troubleshoot your issue too. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Steve B made good points to test above. 

@SuperDrive S As you stated above that you are running one two keywords in this campaign - Singular and Plural - both exact match type. Did you checked individual search term report for both keywords. Do you see that singular keyword getting clicks for plural keyword and vice versa. If so, I would advice you to separate adgroup for both and use adgroup level negative and see if it makes any improvement. AdWords is more about testing.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

To me it sounds as a new competitor in the neighborhood or a severe seasonal competition.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey, SuperDrive.

In addition to what my fellow forum members already told you to check, I'd have a look at auction insights. They'll tell you who's beating you, among other things.

Here's more about it: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

And the good thing is you can even bid in such a way as to outrank a certain competitor, once you know who they are.

More on this here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268616?hl=en

Hope it helps, let us know how things are going.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, thanks for the response! (and everyone else.) My current quality score is 10/10, max cpc $3.00, and the three columns for 1st page, top first page, and first position are at: $0.24, $0.42, $1.99. 

I'd think that with a 10/10 quality score and a $3.00 Manual CPC max bid, my ads, at the least, would be showing (if the estimated first-page bid is as low as 24 cents.) 

I've tried every suggestion here, going to look at auction insights and see if that tells me anything.