AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

1 cent off top position bid, yet I end up in position 5.0?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone explain how my ad is in position 5.0 when I bid .84 and the first page bid is .20 and top position is .85. I can understand it not being position 1.0, but to drop to 5.0 doesn't seem to make sense. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kenneth

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: 1 cent off top position bid, yet I end up in position 5.0?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kenneth,

The simple answer is that the Top of Page bid is an estimate and it's accuracy can vary quite substantially from Keyword to Keyword.  I'd recommend you treat it mainly as a comparative estimate and rely upon real data to establish real positions for your specific Campaigns.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ad position is determined by your Ad Rank in the auction. Your Ad Rank is a score that's based on your bid, the components of Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats. If you're using the cost-per-click bidding option, your bid is how much you're willing to pay for a single click on your ad. The quality components of Ad Rank are a measurement of the quality of your ad text and landing page in the context of what a user is searching for.

Note that if you're using extensions such as sitelinks, the expected impact from those extensions is factored into your Ad Rank. This means that if two competing ads have the same bid and quality, the ad with the better expected impact from extensions will generally appear in a higher position than the other.

To improve your ad position, you can increase your bid, or you can focus on improving the quality of your ads. See the "Next steps" section at the bottom of this article for more information about how to optimize your ad position by improving your ad quality.
you can see this video to understand more -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kenneth,

The simple answer is that the Top of Page bid is an estimate and it's accuracy can vary quite substantially from Keyword to Keyword.  I'd recommend you treat it mainly as a comparative estimate and rely upon real data to establish real positions for your specific Campaigns.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Bidding for the Top of page estimate only means that for a couple of impressions you can have one of the top positions 1, 2 or 3.

It does not mean that all your Ad impressions will be on the Top of Page positions. Maybe from 100 impressions only 1 is on position 3.

My advice is to use in that ad group the button "Segment" and the option "Top vs. other", this will allow you to see how many impressions you had on "Top" and how many on the "Other" positions, for that keyword.

Screenshot 2014-08-07 20-13-44.png

For example for this keyword I had 54 impressions and 15 clicks for the Top positions with an avg. pos just for the TOP of 2.5 and for the "other " positions I had 53 impressions but only 2 clicks , avg. pos for the "Other" positions beeing 4.1

sample-segment.png