AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

$0.01 Bid, No Competition and Placement?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Here's the simple scenerio:

I'm bidding on a keyword with zero competition. My initial response is that I want to set my bid at $0.01 since I'm the only one bidding.

I know that there is a minimum AdRank threshold for an ad to even show, which is generally higher for the top of the page vs the side or bottom of the page. I'm also aware that the AdRank value is determined by bid, quality score and impact of ad extensions. Furthermore, I've read of ads showing with bids as low as $0.04.

My question is this: given my scenerio above (we're talking keywords that have 0 competition here) how do I know how much I have to bid at minimum for my ad to show up at the top? At the side?

I know I can set a max cpc bid and I'll only end up paying the minimum, but what if I don't want to appear on top and I just want to appear on the side? In other words, how do I manage my bid so that I can have some control as to where I appear on the page and also pay the least amount possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: $0.01 Bid, No Competition and Placement?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This doesn't mean that there is no historical data. It means that there is no sufficient data to be statistically reliable, and thus, Google does not show it,
If this is the case - the only approach I know is: "trail and error"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I said in another discussion, that I doubt if there were in English  a keyword (as obscure as it could be) which no one would bid on.
So, practically; for any keyword the keyword planner should show the historical  (PPC) data advertisers paid for a given keyword. This could be your "first shot"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I used the keyword planner traffic estimates tool on this keyword and the results returned no historical (ppc) data.

I might be over-thinking this, but in this scenario with no historical data or current competition, how do I know if the amount that I've put in as max cpc bid will get my ad to show? Do I just put in my bid and then do a Google search to see if I can see my ad appear?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This doesn't mean that there is no historical data. It means that there is no sufficient data to be statistically reliable, and thus, Google does not show it,
If this is the case - the only approach I know is: "trail and error"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, trial and error it is.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Alex K -- Any update on your trial and error test? I'm most interested to see what you discovered. Like you, I've got a campaign with 'zero' competition. And while it's a nice feeling to be the only on bidding, I don't want to leave money on the table unnecessarily. I'm also curious if you tried using impressions instead of clicks, etc. Any info would be most helpful.