My Business
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

two business listings, both claimed, one not mine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My problem is hard to search for. I have my claimed business listing with 1 review. Unfortunately, default google search brings up a DIFFERENT entry, with no reviews. It does not have a "Are you the business owner?" link. That means I can't claim it.

All the instructions for "claiming a business" assume you have not already claimed one. So they all start with searching google for your business. But, since I've already claimed my business, I dont get that search page.

Searching for this answer, I get a lot of hits about a business with two different locations, or a business that moved. Neither is my case. We're still in the same place. There's just two entries on that same place in google maps, eg.

Dr. Pullen, Peterson, Brower, & Hanson 
Dentist
760 US Highway 206, Ste. 2, Hillsborough, NJ 08844-1538, Hillsborough Township, NJ 08844
1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

hi Dan

If I'm reading your question right you have two listings for exactly the same business - one which you have claimed and one which is claimed by someone else?

if so, then you do need to find out who has claimed that other business listing so you can start the process of marking it as duplicate. The easiest way to do that is to open up an incognito tab in your browser and start the process of trying to claim the other listing. it should come up with a partial email address that may be enough to give you information about who owns that listing now.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Re: two business listings, both claimed, one not mine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
> start the process of trying to claim the other listing

Thanks for the answer!

The incognito tab detaches from this gmail account, that's good. But to
claim the other listing wouldnt I need to create a NEW google business
account, with a new gmail address and the whole thing?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dan

I don't want you to actually claim the other business listing at the moment as doing that would create a conflict in your dashboard (unless you did set up a whole new account as you've mentioned). Ideally you want to see what email address owns the other listing, and then get in touch with the person about them deleting that listing from their dashboard. Then the listing will be unverified and you can get in touch with GMB support about merging the listing as a duplicate.

If you can't work out who owns the listing from the partial email address then it's going to be a bit harder to request the two listings be merged but it is possible still.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Re: two business listings, both claimed, one not mine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't get the address of the other listing. I'm not even sure how to get to the page that shows it.

Again, if I'm logged into my Google My Business account, I have not way of getting to that listing (that I know of). It just shows me my listing.

And with incognito tab, I can't claim that listing unless I create another GMB account.

If you have a way of getting to the partial address of the other listing, I would like to hear that. I may need explicit step by step instructions. Sorry to be a bother about that.

As for contacting Google directly, I have already done that. They say they have sent an email to the other listing asking that I be given ownership or admin rights. The support tech did give me a partial email address of the other listing. Sounds like it could be someone from our office. But could be an old email address. They said give it 7 days. That was 12/14. It's 12/21, so that's 7. I guess I will get back to them tomorrow.

I posted here looking for other alternatives.

Thanks so much for the help and attention.