My Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

the country you're coming from, results in a serious discrimination within the categories

[ Edited ]
N/A
# 1
N/A

Dear All,

I'm in trouble with the gcid (GoogleCategoryID) and the corresponding German terms serious problems. Since our web site is running in 7 languages, I thought in my youthful folly:

If the required category exists in German ("categories_de_DE.csv") but not in the Austrian ("categories_de_AT.csv") and otherwise a corresponding number of sectors in one language inside and the other just not, I create a database-table and use the the US American GoogleCategoryID (gcid) as "key". To this key I load the text of all the other languages (Dutch, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian).... in the corresponding fields per record.

Finally I search for the most appropriate category and use the US gcid (GoogleCategoryID) to let google know which business / sector this really is.

By no means

The concrete example:

The desired sector should be "Boot und Yachtzubehöhr" (which stands for boat and yachting equipment). Embarrassing enough, in the "de_AT" I found nothing that fits (despite all the seafarers in our country).

Fortunately in the "de_DE I found the "Bootszubehörhändler" (right …).

This boat accessories dealer points to a GCID: "boat_accessories_supplier".

Perfect (I thought), so I'm searching in the US chart after "boat_accessories_supplier" and ............

find nothing. :-(

Frustrating

1) In our Austrian Google Menu it is impossible to enter the "de_DE" term "Bootszubehörhändler" (picture Cat-1.jpg)

2) Likewise it is impossible to use the GCID-term from the "en_US" (or any other) (picture Cat-2.jpg)

I involved here a German Google expert (thanks to Helmut at this stage) https://www.de.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Grundlagen/Branche-nicht-gefunden/m-p/70489#M402 who forwarded me to this thread.

After some investigation I identified that the problem is far uncomfortable because I cannot tell Google that I'd like to move away from the AT-category restrictions. I have found no way to tell the system that I want to use the German "fields" (in our case " Bootszubehörhändler").

Not enough.

I have invested and found (within the following 7 languages which are key to us​​: US, DE, NL, FR, IT, ES, RU, US) that there are currently 3574 unique GCID's and only 2396 in the US version (see picture "Cat-3.jpg"; Excel table on request). So in a nutshell there is a significant inconsistency between the countries and it's branches / categories / sectors which finally lead to a situation that those with the smallest number are extremely discriminated once it is about international business (in our case no one will find our yachting business; only the deep see shipping).

Please let me know:

• How do I get the right category extensions?
  • When is this available to me?

Many thanks and regards

Gerhard..try to use the German category..try to use the German categorytry to use the gcidtry to use the gcidscreenshot of the table showing the country differencesscreenshot of the table showing the country differences

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: the country you're coming from, results in a serious discrimination within the categories

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I escalated this thread  into the API board of this forum as the linked category spreadsheet is under the control of the GMB API folks:

"a new category issue reported for boat_accessories_supplier etc."