My Business
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

review errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Someone just left us (a B&B) a 3.5 review, one of only two reviews we have on Google.

There's no comment on the review and we've no record of anyone with a similar name staying here in the six years we've owned the property. At the least, this seems an error if not an outright fraud.

I thought Tripadvisor was difficult but there's zero facility on Google to dispute a review. That's just anarchy, how can that be right?

It's outrageous that Google has facilitated a review system where the business owner can't flag a review as being in error.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: review errors

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ian S,

You can flag reviews you don't believe are valid, here are the instructions. You should be warned though, I really, really doubt that you're going to get a review like that removed. For the most part, I've only seen businesses have success when it's outright hateful, defamatory, or blatantly fake. Providing records of customers served and comparing them to the name of the reviewer will probably be a waste of time, but you can always try. 

What I'd suggest instead, is to start a real review program, where you institute policies to ask satisfied customers to leave a review, just as part of how you do business. You likely won't want all of your reviews on Google, but it would still be a great place to start. Getting 5 reviews will get you the review stars showing, and if the other 3 that you'll get are all 5 stars, that'll still have your average above 4.5. (Note though that Google doesn't calculate the average in a way you might expect). 

Use this tool to make a link that makes it easy for clients to leave you a review. You can send that link to customers through email afterwards, have instructions on a business card you give customers as they're leaving, or put it on your website in an easy to direct to spot, and then verbally direct customers there. Either way, given that you've got a bed and breakfast, it should be fairly easy to bury this review. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

review errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

we've subsequently received a load of emails offering to "fix" our low review scores, it's pretty clear this is extortion facilitated by a glaring deficiency in these reviews.

I've read those documents, there's no way to flag this review as the blackmail that it obviously is.

review errors

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

This off-topic post has been archived by a Moderator, per our Community Guidelines. If you post again, please ensure that your post is specific to the Community and that it includes a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

Thank you for your understanding.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter

Re: review errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Archived? Off topic? Or just something you don't want to hear?

Very, very poor.

Ian Spare

UIMLA International Mountain Leader

Communications Director & Regional Representative for Switzerland, British
Association of International Mountain Leaders (BAIML) Ltd

Mobile : +41 78 659 5452 | B&B Chalet Epicea,
Leysin | SwissMountainLeader.com