My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Suggest an edit" applied immediately with no confirmation

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently published a Google Street View tour for a client. After doing so I noticed their marker was misplaced so I "Suggested" an edit moving the marker to the exact correct spot. Past experience taught me the edit would take weeks or month to be applied but this time it only took seconds. Hmmm. Then noticed their category was wrong so I suggested a change there, from Gift Store to Kitchen Supply Store. To my surprise that edit took hold immediately. Upside is they immediately started appearing in maps search under that category unlike before. But this is scary. If anybody can make immediate edits to a business' information on maps with no verification it leaves all businesses wide open for sabotage. This can't be good.

The Cook's Nook

5676 Broad St, Greendale, WI 53129

(414) 423-3080

https://plus.google.com/107002522449700985260

Maps entry: https://goo.gl/BVD8Of

Please note that their G+ page has them listed as a book store, doesn't appear to be verified but is claimed. I don't think it is connected to their business listing.

Attempting to add the business through Google My Business fails because "Someone else has already verified this listing." I can tell from the email hint that it is their web master who did this.

Hoping someone can explain what is going on and why.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott W
September 2016

Re: "Suggest an edit" applied immediately with no confirmation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The Google+ page is a brand page not a local page, those pages cannot be found on Maps or Web searches, their only value resides in being found on Google+, which these days is not much.

What are you trying to do?
If the business listing is verified by the business itself there is nothing else for you to do, other than those minor corrections, but there is no need to try to verify their business listing with your account, which would be inappropriate in this case.

Automatic approval, in theory, of listing edits are done when there is confidence that the review is done by somebody with some legitimacy. If you have location history enabled on your mobile device Google might know you have been at that location and trust your edit.
Also the fact you are a trusted photographer that published a tour of the business can give you some editing trust.

Still, Google has this Local Guides program and they are known to automatically publish edits by inexperienced users.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, my edits went though quickly because Google trusts me? Now I feel special..

Just to be clear, I only started the verification procedure to see if they were verified, trying to understand why my edits went through so quickly. Is there a better way?

Should have realized theirs was a brand page since there was no map. I suspect I should recommend they convert it to a local page, which I believe should help in local search.

Thanks for the explanation. So much to learn....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,
There is no need to start the verification process to check if the listing is verified. The only advantage of going that route is to get a hint at the e-mail address of the person that verified the listing, which is useful only to business owners that lost control of the listing.
If the listing on Maps does not have a "Claim this business" link in the information panel then it is verified.
On Map Maker the business record will have a green verification badge if it has been verified in My Business.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much, treebles.