My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Raffle" for Google Reviews - Is it against Google's ToS? How do I report this?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do not work for any plumbers nor know any friends who do, however, I hired one today to fix a problem I had. 

Then I got an email with this:

BE AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED FOR A CHANCE TO WIN $200 BY LEAVING US A GOOGLE REVIEW!!
All submitted google reviews will be randomly selected for a chance to win $200.  The $200 will paid via check that you can pick up at our location or have mailed to you. All google reviews will be automatically recirculated into a chance to win the $200 prize once every 6 months. 

So... yeah.

Isn't that against Google's rules? They have tons and tons of reviews, and all the fellow plumbers in the area do not. I think this is misleading to customers like myself, as I use google reviews as a resource. I had thought that they had a lot of good reviews because they do a good job... not because they might pay one of those reviewers. :|

How do I report them?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Raffle" for Google Reviews - Is it against Google's ToS? How do I report this?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Please provide a link to there business page / map page.

Can you also send me the full email, showing its actually from them and I will escalate this.

Send or forward the email

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Re: "Raffle" for Google Reviews - Is it against Google's ToS? How do I report this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
due to issues I have with a stalker I don't feel comfortable posting the link to what town I live in, however I did email you the google page and forward the email containing the raffle offer.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @zipdar d

Received and I will now escalate.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

"Raffle" for Google Reviews - Is it against Google's ToS? How do I report this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anything more been done?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @zipdar d

I have not heard back, I will track down my escalation and check.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @zipdar d

The Google team has sent them an email reminding them of Guidelines and will monitor reviews for a period of time.