My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Pharmacy" category is not recognized

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am one of the owners of Pharmacy First (MacLean & Poulain Pharmacy First Ltd) located at 266 South Foord Street, Stellarton, NS B0K 1S0 (although the Google maps listing shows it as B0K 0A2).  902-753-3784.  I am new to this and I have no idea how to find my Google+ URL.

We are trying to finish setting up our Google My Business profile and it does not allow us to choose "Pharmacy" as the Category for the business.  We are the newest of 3 pharmacies in the town and the other 2 both have "Pharmacy" as the category, but when I try to enter that it shows "We didn't understand your category. Please select from the suggestions that appear when typing."  The only suggestion was "Pharmaceutical Company" which is not correct.  Is there a way to chose the "Pharmacy" category?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Pharmacy" category is not recognized

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kimberley M

That sounds strange, that the other 2 are Pharmacy and you can't select now.

I don't have a Canada business page, so i checked MapMaker for Canada and there is certainly a Pharmacy category available.

Please re check that you are typing Pharmacy.

The other possibility is that you have created in another language URL, but if in same account this should not be the case.

Could you take a screen shot of the available categories showing when you start typing pharm ....

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Tim C,

This screen wouldn't allow me to paste or attach the screen shot, but as soon as I type "Pha", "Pharmaceutical Company" is the only choice for a category.

There have been two other threads in this forum for this topic...one seems unanswered and the other one was solved by them trying to enter "Chemist" and it changed it to Pharmacy, when I tried this is defaulted to "Drug store" which is closer and more appropriate than anything else, but "Pharmacy" is the still the most appropriate and what we are aiming for.

How do I check to see if I created another language URL as you suggested?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also observe same issue while doing some of the Google Map updates in my region. Pharmacy does not come as an allowed category.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Pavol

What country are you based in and what language did you use to set up your Google+ page?

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Kimberley M
Did you ever figure this out?
I am having the same problem. There are 3 pages of "Pharmacys" in my area yet I cannot choose it. I am having the same issue with two pharmacies in two Canadian cities... but the other pharmacies in the area are clearly listed in the Pharmacy category.
It's really crazy. The response I got from google was:
"I would like to inform you that the categories are preset and we may not able to customize it and it also depends on location of the business. "
Which makes no sense since all the competitors have been able to choose that category.
If you have resolved it, please share how.
Many thanks,
Trina

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Trina,
I got the exact same response as you did (except it didn't say anything about our location) and I was very frustrated since Pharmacy is the CORRECT category, others have it and by not having it as a preset category it is misleading to the public.

The best work around I found was something else I found on this forum. I changed my Category to "Chemist". The previous person that did this actually got "Pharmacy" defaulted as their "public" category (look at what the public sees, versus the profile within your account). When I tried this, the public category shows as "Drug Store", which was not a category when I originally searched for it. It is still not what I want but it is WAY better than the closest I was going to choose (Healthcare Consultant). The strange thing is, if you "Google" Pharmacy and the name of our town, we do come up. YET, if you "Google" Drug Store and the name of the town, it does not.

I would be very interested to see if this works for you. Good luck!!!
Kim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Kimerley M
Thanks so much for your reply. I tried that and now I will wait and see what happens. It isn't coming up just yet but perhaps it will in a few days.
I'll let you know!
Thanks so much!

ps... I agree - this is SO frustrating to be unable to choose the correct category when the competition seems to be able to do it just fine!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - is it possible to have "pharmacy" as a category for a Google business page? If something has changed since when the competition has made their page they should need to change their category as this is not fair by any means. 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

In what country is your business?