AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Go to best answer" deceiving

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

On some forum threads where a question is not resolved, people who respond are able to mark their *own* responses as "the best answer". Even if the response is neither correct nor an answer. Even more confusing, a link that says "GO TO BEST ANSWER" is then added to the original question/post, which gives the impression to others that support has been provided.

So you've got who knows how many unresolved topics in the forum that are not adequately resolved, yet on the surface it looks as if everything is just swell.

So my question is: how is it acceptable that 1) people can mark their own replies as the "best answer", and 2) the original question displays a link to "best answer" even if the issue is not resolved?

It seems that only the person asking the question should be allowed to decide which response is the "best". And unresolved posts should remain unresolved, not flagged as having a "best answer" when in fact no resolution is provided.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
January 2016

Re: "Go to best answer" deceiving

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

Only our Top Contributors, and Community Managers (Google employees) are able to mark responses off as "best answer." I'm sorry to hear that you did not agree with the response that we had selected as the best answer.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to un-mark the "best answer" provided, or just respond with the additional questions and we'll be happy to provide more clarity.

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Best,
Liz

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
January 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

Only our Top Contributors, and Community Managers (Google employees) are able to mark responses off as "best answer." I'm sorry to hear that you did not agree with the response that we had selected as the best answer.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to un-mark the "best answer" provided, or just respond with the additional questions and we'll be happy to provide more clarity.

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Best,
Liz

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ah, I didn't realize that the original poster could un-select the claimed "best answer". That helps enormously, thank you.