My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Extra picture" showing in google search results instead of google business profile picture

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When people search for my business, I'd like to see the profile picture that I've set up in my business account next to my other business info & maps. Instead, google shows a picture from the "extra pictures" (I'm a photographer and therefore have quite a few of these extra pictures).

I've already tried deleting that particular picture, but then simply another "extra picture" shows. I've also deleted and re-uploaded a new profile picture in my google business account, and tried the 3 dots to re-select what my preference is what google shows, but so far no luck. (oh, also emptied my browser cache and reloaded the google search page)

Below a screenshot of my google business listing, and below what actually shows in google.

one.pngtwo.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Extra picture" showing in google search results instead of google business profile pi

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Teun B

Google Randomises these images, so even if you did delete it would randomise other images.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

"Extra picture" showing in google search results instead of google business profile picture

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean that Google will *always* choose a picture from my extra images to show next to my business info? One would expect that the self-chosen preferred profile picture is shown (google business actually mentions too on the admin page)...

In regards to the randomization, it seems the chosen picture is indeed random, but after that it doesn't change (unless deleted). The previously shown "extra" picture was shown next to my business info for months, and only changed when I added more pictures and uploaded a new profile picture in google business.

Re: "Extra picture" showing in google search results instead of google business pr

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Teun B

Yes.

We have asked about the randomisation of images and Google says they pic an image best suited to the users intent, previous search etc.

One thing you could do, and this ( may be a coincidence ) is my images stopped being randomised after I used structured data markup on site that specifically labels my Logo url.

<script type="application/ld+json">
      {
      "@context": "http://schema.org/",
      "@type": "Organization",
      "url": "http://www.example.com/",
      "logo": "http://www.example.com/logo.png"
      }
    </script>

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Teun B
November 2016

Re: &quot;Extra picture&quot; showing in google search results instead of google business pr

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Teun B

Just to add to Tim's comments, I've noticed that Google seems to prefer photo type images over logo type images for the profile picture. Yours is sort of a combo of the two. I think if you try to use a picture of yourself that doesn't have a white background and logo overlay you might be able to get it to stick.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

&quot;Extra picture&quot; showing in google search results instead of google business profile picture

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TomW & Tim thank you both!

I've change my profile picture to one without text, and google showed it immediately in the search results, so TomW you get the full credits :) But also thanks to Tim for making me aware of "Schema" structured data - I wasn't using this on my site yet, but will look into implementing it.