AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Enter an address and marker that specify the same place."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to claim this location on Google Maps. It exists on the map, but I cannot claim it. When I try, it asks for a full address. When I provide a full address, it drops the pin at the nearest corner, but it refuses to submit, saying "Enter an address and marker that specify the same place". In the following screenshot I moved the marker a bit, to more accurately reflect the on the ground location, but the same thing happens when I don't move it:

Screenshot from 2017-07-06 17-13-39.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆

The map seems to have streets on it but no buildings. If there is no building data on the map then there is nothing for the red pin to attach to. You have given the street address as two street names not a house no or plot name.

Re: "Enter an address and marker that specify the same place."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is correct. Given that there are no fixed structures and no street addresses, I entered the two street names (as it suggests doing when there are no street addresses).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I have exactly the same issue - trying to add my camp to 10 & JUJU...

Feels that none of the Burning Man have claimed their business using Google my business. Not even centre camp. Guess they just added them directly on the map?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆

I have not seen this before. I do not think a temporary camp will fit in with the GmB rules as you need to have a postbox for a verification post card.

Are you part of a large organisation which has local camps or an individual local camp?

The an organisation can have a Google+ Brand page.

For a pop up business a Facebook page where you can do a local boost might work better. I did one with a Youtube film and it reached every one on Facebook in my local town.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Andrew,

Guess that since it's a temporary town, we can't do it on Google my business. I just added it with: 'Add a missing place' but it's not showing yet.

How do you do the local boost? Couldn't find it online.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆

In the administration for a public Facebook Page you can choose to pay to boost a Post. Not a Closed group page as far as I know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ahhhh... read your message half way and just realised you talked about Facebook. I guess I'll wait to see if the submission went through when adding a missing place on Google map :)

Other camps have already added their place on the map so trying to figure out how to do it too :)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ☆

Can you show example of another camp showing up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here we go:

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 19.13.07.png