My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

"Confederate Memorial Day"? Please remove!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Confederate Memorial Day hours

Hi, it seems that every business in Texas, including ours, has a "Confederate Memorial Day" holiday within their hours listed on Google. Our business absolutely does not want to be associated with this "holiday." Can Google please address this? We wish we could edit which holidays may affect our hours. (And actually, our MLK Day hours are different than usual--we are not closed, as the screenshot shows--but the "Hours may differ" notice doesn't appear for us, for some reason.) Appreciate any help. Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Confederate Memorial Day"? Please remove!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @MFAH Web E

I don't think you will be able to get the mention of "Confederate Memorial Day" removed from your listing. Since it's a public holiday in your state Google just wants to notify people that the hours specified on a listing may be different for that day.

For Martin Luther King Jr. Day (or any other days you wish to set special hours), you can specify the hours from within in your Google My Business dashboard by following the instructions here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/6303076

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I'll forward your thread as a feedback to Google

Thanks

link for my own reference only: a reasonable feedback about ""Confederate Memorial Day

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@TomW I think that there are legit concerns here that should be raised to Google.

I address them in this post and in the comments: http://blumenthals.com/blog/2017/01/14/google-confederate-memorial-day-hours/comment-page-1/#comment...

Even if you remove politics from the question (which isn't possible) you have to ask how does this help the end user if 97% of every place they want to go has their regular hours (just like President's day and Columbus Day).

Google could just as easily just put this on banks and government offices and not the great number of businesses that are just doing business as normal. Why put this work on their shoulders?

As to language, since it is both a state and federal holiday, they could easily create language that covers both: Government Holiday or some such. 

Google can and should do better. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My coworkers and I just made the connection after I was trying to find a local car-rental place. Results when searching north of the Mason/Dixon give us "MLK's birthday" whereas searches with southern cities included get "Robert E. Lee's birthday" as the reason hours will be affected.

This is an oddly specific override that doesn't feel right at all.

Re: "Confederate Memorial Day"? Please remove!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Mike Blumenthal

Expanding on your idea for the dual holiday label of "Government holiday", state and federal holidays could be labeled in a similar manner: "Federal holiday" and "State holiday". So in Alabama, today could be labeled "Government holiday" (since it's both a federal and a state holiday there). In Texas, today could be labeled "Federal holiday" and Thursday could be labeled "State holiday".

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, it seems that businesses are seen as closed in Arkansas for Robert E Lee day, but this was recently changed by the state and we now only recognize MLK day.  Please make the reflected changes

http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/usa/regional.php?list_year=2017&list_region=Arkansas

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I think Arkansas is heading that direction but doesn't look like the change has happened yet: http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/aboutoffice/pages/stateholidaycalendar.aspx

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ours now shows Martin Luther King Jr. Day/Robert E. Lee's Birthday hours instead of just Robert E Lee day.  The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute appreciates the improvement.  :)

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Michael H better than a fish and certainly a decent solution for Alabama. It doesn't solve the Texas issue of labeling Thursday's Confederate Hero's Day 

Thursday
(Confederate Memorial Day)
6:30AM–2:30PM, 6–10:30PM
Hours might differ

So one step forward to recognize a state and national holiday. But I still take issue with highlighting Confederate's Hero day.