AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

profile photo appearing in google search in stead of cover photo

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I created a My Business page for my physical therpist.

Kinesist/Osteopaat Dave Versmissen

Heiligstraat 29, 2620 Hemiksem, Belgium

https://plus.google.com/+OsteokinehemiksemBe

When I search for it shows the business card in the right pane of the google results but the profile photo is appearing

I want that the cover photo is displayed in stead.

In the Google+ settings for he page I selected 'cover. but it still shows the profile photo.

Can someone help ?

Thanks

Hugo

picture.JPG

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hugo W
July 2016

Re: profile photo appearing in google search in stead of cover photo

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Hugo

Unfortunately no.

Google's guidelines state they'll consider your preference but don't guarantee that it will be the first photo shown. In fact, as Mike has written about recently, they are playing around even more at the moment with the display of photos: http://blumenthals.com/blog/2016/07/13/5-reasons-why-the-new-google-business-photos-image-search-suc...

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The profile photo IS the default photo that will show in the Knowledge Panel in the search results. The cover photo ONLY shows on your GPlus page.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
But why do you have the choice then to specify 'profile' or 'cover' ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
To give you the illusion of control....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Anybody that can help ?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hugo W
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Hugo

Unfortunately no.

Google's guidelines state they'll consider your preference but don't guarantee that it will be the first photo shown. In fact, as Mike has written about recently, they are playing around even more at the moment with the display of photos: http://blumenthals.com/blog/2016/07/13/5-reasons-why-the-new-google-business-photos-image-search-suc...

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, can anyone help as I'm having a similar problem - the difference being that my chosen cover photo was actually showing fine up until a few days ago but has suddenly stopped displaying it and now only shows the profile photo instead....I wasn't sure if I had inadvertently changed a setting or, as stated above, Google simply changed it's mind about which picture it was happy to display....Thanks. 

Fetch Walk Sit

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I disagree regarding the 'illusion of control' comment. As more tech companies have bugs, Google experiences the same issues sometimes, but maybe they do not prefer to admit it, as they are the largest tech companies in the world.

I've had this issue, that it's not possible to reject 'amenities or offerings', while there is a button for it. I've contacted Google support, which admitted it was a bug and the engineering team was working on it.

Keep pushing, till it's fixed.