My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

false reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I am curious as to why Google 'rewards' points to people who are trying to become 'local guides' for putting up fake/false reviews. I have had tow reviews and in neither case do I know or have ever done business with the people who posted 'review stars' on my Google service site....and in neither case am I able to do anything about it. I wrote to Google asking them to remove them but they said they are handle by 3rd-part content that is not theirs.

1 Expert replyverified_user

false reviews

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Local Guides does monitor and accept information regarding false reviews by members. With more data, it can be started here or over at the local guides community one help link is here. A there is a post that discusses how to go about reporting spam reviews.

To proceed here the following information would be needed to see and develop a better answer.

Please include the following with your question: 
1. Full business name 
2. Current business address 
3. Current telephone number 
4. Google Maps URL 
5. Website (if applicable) 

David W Cox, Google My Business Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

false reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same here, we got a made-up review from some one we've never seen here and when I researched he is big into getting points to become a 'Local Guide'.

Re: false reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jo - I reported mine to Google and they said they couldn't do anything
about it. LOL...I actually have two now!!
If you find a solution, please let me know!

false reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My client has also had the same problem. One fake review (1 star rating but no comment) has been removed by Google, but the other 1 star review with the word "OK" has been left, even though that person was never a customer either.

false reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Both of mine have no comment. How did you client manage to get Google to remove it?

Re: false reviews

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Google will only take down individual reviews if the content breaches guidelines.

As you see a review with no text was taken down.

If you can show a reviewer left several negative reviews of competitors of a business they left the one positive review for then they will take the set down. The base reviewer account can be linked to the positive business in some cases by Google.

Apart from that respond to each review. Ask for transaction details and say you will address their issue. If they do not bother to do that viewers will take it as false. Its pretty obvious from a review content if its false. Especially false self reviews. Guidance:

http://blumenthals.com/blog/2010/03/16/responding-to-negative-reviews-the-real-audience-is-your-pros...

false reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My mistake, the 1 star review is still there (it was late when I looked last night!