My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Your reviews are not displayed properly

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear sirs, 

Thank you for taking the time to review my complaint. I'm sure that you, at Google, pride yourselves at providing accurate information. However, it appears, at least in this case, you are not doing so. I'm sure you would not want to be known as a company that displays falsehoods, and in fact I have been extremely pleased with Google in the past so I know this must be an anomaly. 

Per the screen shot attached, you will see (and please feel free to verify on your own here: http://bit.ly/1TXGvSd) that you are displaying that I have an average of 4.8 stars for my reviews; however, every single reviewer so far has rated me at 5...just out of curiosity why then does it not display an average of 5? 

This seems like a very simple and completely understandable error, unless you have some reason for not taking the exact average of the reviews which would clearly be 5 - we do agree on that, do we not? - and making it lower...

I hope you can see how disconcerting that would be for a startup such as mine that relies heavily on reviews (specifically five star reviews) to drive traffic and communicate the quality of my business, but if one of the most well-known and powerful companies in the world is not displaying that information properly, we do indeed have a problem. Specifically Google has a problem because, again, I believe you pride yourselves on accuracy and on earning the trust of your users, do you not. 

Please feel free to email me at <edited by a Community Manager as noted below> if you can resolve this issue. If I am missing something and my math is somehow wrong, let me know. 

Thank you, 

Ryan

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove account specifics and/or personal contact information. This is done to protect security and privacy.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Your reviews are not displayed properly

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Really Entertaining T

Review averages are not calculated as a basic average. Google uses something similar to a bayesian average calculation.

What this means:

There are quite a lot of equations involved but to put it simply. Assuming you never received another review, over time your average will increase naturally, as the trust in the reviews and the users that added the reviews increases.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What you seem to be saying is that there is a formula that is not simply
25/5 = 5.

I guess that makes sense. Little weird but.....okay.

Also, I know you're not Google (I think) but thanks for responding.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Really Entertaining T

Correct.

Averages will change all the time. I had a 5 star average for quite some time, then recently a, no named account gave me a 5star rating but because of this new influence and being an "annonymous" review, I am back to 4.8 average.

Frustrating but thats Google.

No I don't work for Google, I am however a Google My Business TC.

Tim Capper
Google My Business Top Contributor (UK) and SEO consultant at Online Ownership

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tim, that was very helpful, and yes um, that is freaking frustrating.
"Anonymous review" Cheese and crackers.....seriously?

Welp, um, that's the way the Google crumbles.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Helpful.

Ryan

Your reviews are not displayed properly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the same issue.  I have all 5 star ratings and a person whom I have never done business with left a 1 star rating and now I am showing 1 star.  How is that accurate?  I don't know what calculations they use, but by anyone's standards that is wrong.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Ken S

Even if you have not done business with the user, Google will not remove the review because

Google doesn't get involved when merchants and customers disagree about facts, since there's no reliable way to discern who's right about a particular customer experience

https://support.google.com/business/answer/4596773

If it contains profanity, racism we may be able to get it removed