My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why isn't Google resolving Duplicate listing issues?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have reported on over a dozen duplicate listings in my area over the last 3 months and Google has taken NO ACTION on any of it. I just took over an account that had several suspended listings because their former SEO guy made a bunch of listings, and I don't see any way to clean this up either.

Duplicate listings seems to be a huge problem for Google, both existing and resolving. I would love some help but please don't just post something and mark it as answered. You can get points from other threads, I need some real answers.

- How do we get Google off their hands about these duplicate listings?

- How do we resolve suspended listing and/or remove the duplicates after they have been suspended?

This really does go the the core of quality in Google search. It is important enough to take more seriously than two lines of sarcasm as Best Answer so please don't post if you don't have something productive to offer.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Richard,

If you reported them via Maps or MapMaker I find it takes about 4-8 weeks before anything happens.  It is painfully slow but it is most likely due to them receiving more reports than they have staff to deal with it.  Keep in mind you won't always get a good turnaround time on free products.

If the duplicates are for a business you control via GMB (sounds like your one example is) you can increase this turnaround time substantially by contacting GMB and asking them to merge them.  Usually in those cases you are looking at 1-2 weeks.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

"sounds like your one example is" ?

Not sure what this means.

"If you reported them via Maps or MapMaker I find it takes about 4-8 weeks before anything happens"

It's been at least 8 weeks

"Keep in mind you won't always get a good turnaround time on free products"

Google has a sizable impact on global trade and commerce. That comes with just a little more responsibility than you suggest. 

I hope to get more information on this topic if anyone has any actionable answers. Thanks in advance.

N/A
# 4
N/A

Please provide some direction. We purchased a business. The previous owner had claimed their business and it is listed Permanently Closed. We completed the steps to claim the address and entered the new name (which is almost identical). Google sent the postcard and we entered the code but it wont accept the entry saying that it is a duplicate entry. It is not. The previous owner is not available to release the old listing. Any advice on what can we do to correct this? Our customers believe we are closed. THANK YOU