My Business
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why is it so difficult to get the details of our property correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have four properties in our hotel group two of which have very outdated information posted about them for the description of the property and in the amenities which is having a negative affect on some customers experience.

For over a year now various level of managers have reached out by filling in the forms (which are never responded to) emailing directly (which receive sporadic and poor responses) to have the details updated yet Google continue to refuse to make changes.

I'd just like an explanation as to why this is so hard, as the owners of the business should a request from managers to update information not be met with a change within 48hrs rather than taking over a year and still being unresolved?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is it so difficult to get the details of our property correct?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Please provide the URLs to all four Business pages (or allternatively any
kind of links showing the hotels on Google) and please describe what
exactly is incorrect on it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In both cases both properties in the amenities list breakfast is included which they don't. Finally after a year we managed to get most of the references in the text to free breakfast removed from the Red Carpet but as you can see it still exists on the High Country's:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=banff+high+country+inn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=-f7VVov6N4fbjgS...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=red+carpet+inn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=U__VVsKNIYShjgT9rrDwAQ

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @John M,

Can you post the name/address/phone number for the hotels, and give more details about what you're trying to get showing about your business? Sometimes there are specifics that can help get you steered in the right direction. 

Google stopped showing the actual Google My Business profile 'description' for businesses quite a while ago... now businesses that have something display at all will have an editorial description. That description is generated algorithmically, and can be challenging to have changed.. though if the description has information that's flat out wrong, you should be able to get it changed without too much trouble. 

Amenities are also problematic. They're usually generated from OTA sites (booking.com and such) and local guides that have stayed at and given information about your hotels. Business owners that contact support in the right way can usually get that changed too though. 

So! The edit information forms can work, but if they don't, then you need to reach out. The email contact option isn't a great choice... what you want to do is have someone call Google directly. You can do that here: https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en
Note that it'll only give you an option to request a phone call if you're there are the right time of day. I don't know the exact hours off the top of my head, but they're pretty standard business hours for the US. If you call in though, the help you get can be a little bit of a mixed bag, sometimes you have to call again trying to get someone who knows how to help you.

Here's a cool way to bypass all that though... on twitter oddly enough. Google's official small business support twitter guy is really helpful. Message @GoogleSmallBiz, you'll likely get your problem taken care of today. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@John M

you provided two for your four locations:

Only one leads to a unique result: https://plus.google.com/116965258811319880588 .

This is a verified business and for it I can replicate getting "Free breakfast" indicated/marked

Are you the owner or manager of the page - managing it in your dashbord?

For the other one ("Red Carpet Inn") I still can't replicate getting any kind of amenities for it (don't even get a knowledge graph for it)

This means I need more infos about this "Red Carpet Inn" in order to investigate it.
Last but not least 

I have no information to replicate & investigate this locations.

Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @John M

Did you see my response to you on this thread: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Outdated-information-still-visi... ?

Did you try reaching out to the OTAs who list 'free breakfast' for your Banff location at all? If so, then as discussed in that thread, we can ask Google to remove the mentions from your Listings as well.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So after 5 months, and having reached out to our direct OTA partners (there is little we can do to control the OTA's that sell our properties without contracts) the High Country Inn, Banff still lists breakfast in their map description, description and the amenities for the properties are still wrong ( I like how a spa and airport shuttle service have been added, neither of which is true)

For the Banff Red Carpet finally the mention in the descriptions and on the map are gone but still free breakfast continues to be listed in the amenities! The comedic part for them is despite listing in the description that you can access the pool at an adjacent hotel the amenities still shows a pool onsite!

I go back to my original question of why can we edit basic information about our properties, it's not like the OTA's force us to use their descriptions so why does Google, clearly the current method is flawed so why continue with it?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This older "Solved" thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Google My Business Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

When you post, please be sure to include the following information as well:

1. Full business name 

2. Current business address 

3. Current business telephone number 

4. Google+ URL 

Thank you.