My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why is a business that is not local showing up in Google maps and is blocking other businesses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

When I do a local search on Google, only one business shows up on the maps section and that business is not local, you can see this one business profile and when you click on the map, it is the only business showing. this business must have used an SEO company to bypass the correct Google search results. because when you usual search, you get the Google places map show up with many LOCAL businesses showing ?

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is a business that is not local showing up in Google maps and is blocking other businesses

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Google shows results based on their local algo.

This algo looks at relevance and prominence within the geo area that they determine (either explicitly or implicitly).

Relevance is determined on a rating scale based on business name similarity to search, category at Google, category elsewhere, local authority page content (home page), review content, social content, newspaper articles.... i.e. which words are associated with a given business.

Prominence is determined by the votes for a business in terms of links to their website, shares on social, frequency of Google searches, number of reviews and other metrics etc etc.

Generally speaking Google looks at relevance first. If they find a business that has significantly higher relevance than the next closest business they will stop looking and show just that business. This is most easily observed when the business name matches the query but it can be generated by a sum of any of the relevance factors noted above.

If there are a number of businesses that meet the relevance criteria and have roughly similar scores then Google will look at a combination of relevance and prominence to show and rank them.

Without seeing your exact search phrase and result we can't tell you why this particular business was chosen and not closer ones but you get the idea.

Re: Why is a business that is not local showing up in Google maps and is blocking other businesses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi
When I used to search for " man and van Rickmansworth " my listing and others would be seen on the Google map
Hhttps://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rickmansworth+Vans/@51.6347378,-0.4983777,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb7e6...

But this only shows up when I type " Rickmansworth man and van "
When I search for " man and van Rickmansworth " now, the local area map does NOT show up the only business that comes up is the one below and he is not in the local area

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Man+and+Van+Watford/@51.6424679,-0.3894243,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0...

He is in Watford which is 5 miles away ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So to confirm
When you search for " man and van in Rickmansworth " instead of seing a map with local businesses, you just get the one below show up fro Watford which is not that local

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=man+and+van+Rickmansworth

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You have not given Google enough relevance signals. See above

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How can that be the case given that the listing that is coming up is called " man and van Watford " and the search was for " man and van Rickmansworth " ?
Thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

When I search on "man and van Rickmansworth" I see the one box for the fellow in Watford and when I search on "Rickmansworth man and van" I see you in a 3 pack.

That tells me that on the phrase "Rickmansworth" you are more relevant but on the phrase "man and van" he is way more relevant than you are. 

You need your name and the words "man and van" associated at more and better places on the internet.... reviews, websites, news articles...

This is how Google works... we can spend a year discussing it or we can get on with the task at hand... get more references to your business. 

Screenshot 2016-08-10 16.03.06.pngScreenshot 2016-08-10 16.02.48.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, that seems strange because if I just search " man and van " from my home location, which is actually in Rickmansworth, I can see the local map and I am on the map but the fellow in Watford is not showing on there and indeed he should not be because he is five miles away in Watford ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is strange because if I search for "man and van " from my location which is Rickmansworth, the local map comes up and he is not on it and indeed he should not be because he is in Watford which is five miles away ?