My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why does my business not show up in a Google search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I recently listed my company A Clean Sweep on Google My Business. When I search for it, it only appears if I put ' A Clean Sweep Horam' not 'chimney sweeps horam' or 'chimney sweeps Heathfield' - this surely defeats the object of being listed as most people won't already know the company name?

I don't have a website yet as business relatively new and isn't essential.

Please can you explain why this is and what I need to do?

Thanks,

Ross Atabey

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Why does my business not show up in a Google search?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Ross, verifying a Google+ Local listing does not guarantee that it will show up when potential customers search for the services that you offer.

There are over 200 ranking factors that go into the mix. As a newer business I would focus on:

- Listing your business in the top 20 to 50 business directories, including ones that are specific to your local area and industry
- Get a website and make sure that it is optimized with all the signals that tells Google who you are and what you do.

Here's Google's help doc on ranking - https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Ross, verifying a Google+ Local listing does not guarantee that it will show up when potential customers search for the services that you offer.

There are over 200 ranking factors that go into the mix. As a newer business I would focus on:

- Listing your business in the top 20 to 50 business directories, including ones that are specific to your local area and industry
- Get a website and make sure that it is optimized with all the signals that tells Google who you are and what you do.

Here's Google's help doc on ranking - https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My website hasn't been searchable since I published it in February and I have an ad with Google as well.