My Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why does every page open in a new tab?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, I am new to Google Business and trying to figure things out.

One thing that is driving me bonkers is the constant opening of links in new tabs. Like every single link or button that I click on opens the target in a new tab. It's just nuts. Seriously, just navigating around for a few minutes and there are 12 tabs open  in my browser -- and 80% of them are redundant.

Please tell me how to disable this and keep navigation in the same tab. Before I go absolutely crazy.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Why does every page open in a new tab?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the question! I was just clicking through in my account to see if I could replicate. What I'm seeing is that whenever you click on "manage page" or "view page," those will open in different tabs. They do have different functionality, which is why it is set up to automatically open a new tab.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Best,
Liz

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the reply. I should have known that with Google, you just have to suck it up and like it. Reminds me of how people felt about Microsoft back in the 90's.

In any case, it is extremely wasteful to open so many new tabs. Everything should remain in the same tab, there is no reason to do otherwise.

Do the math: if say 1 million people have to close three new tabs three times a week (extremely conservative example), Google is responsible for over 3 trillion unnecessary clicks every year. Very wasteful and frustrating.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I will certainly pass this up to the product teams.

Why does every page open in a new tab?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

was this ever solved adwords still doing it every click is a new tab very annoying i am using firefox