My Business
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why does Google Reviews default to most helpful?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This maybe an old topic but I haven't found an answer for it.  Not only why does google review default sort by most helpful, how does it consider one review more "helpful" when google's most "helpful" review has no helpful thumbs ups/count?

Thank you!

Adam

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I would think most anyone would want to see the most helpful review first - one that is clear enough to give me an idea about what the business is about. 

I'd like to think that Most helpful is a complex, well-thought algorithm which understand semantically the review contents and returns the reviews that give the most insight into how a business works. 

It is probably a score based on length, recency, and possibly user interaction (how long did someone hover over or pause on the screen) to read the review. 

There aren't enough people clicking the Helpful? button to make it a reliable signal.

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Joel!  Appreciate the input.

Re: Why does Google Reviews default to most helpful?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Depends on the website authority and company trust follow. Google can trust old business quickly better than a new business. It does not mean that so new business can't get listed quickly? It is very easy to trust old company. But nowadays lots of startups out there. Even many people are trying to get listed doing spam on the search engine for getting a ranking benefit. So the process always takes time for startup. 

That's why sometimes one review can consider as helpful without having thumbs up.count. 

Though earlier @Joel H said a great point to clear the whole thing 

I'd like to think that Most helpful is a complex, well-thought algorithm which understand semantically the review contents and returns the reviews that give the most insight into how a business works.