My Business
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why do my business hours keep changing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We generally don't publish our hours of Google because of how often they change. We have full hours calendars for each business on our website, but sometimes we find a business listed on Google will suddenly have hours posted.

In one example, it said we were closed on a Saturday--we're open 364 days a year. We corrected, only to find them changed again a week later. Why is this happening? Is there a way to prevent automated changes from occurring?

Business Name: Butterfly Conservatory

Business Address: 2565 Niagara Pkwy, Niagara Falls, ON L0S 1J0

Telephone: (905) 358-0025

Google+ URL:https://plus.google.com/b/116933826877723764610/116933826877723764610

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan S
March 2016

Re: Why do my business hours keep changing?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Nathan S

This will keep happening based on 3rd parties info unfortunately. I would certainly track down all of them that say closed on certain days and at least have a set standard of hours

Another thing you could do is set your full calendar of hours with special hours.

Have set standard hours then use special hours to update, this should override any 3rd party info

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Adding-Holiday-amp-Special-Hours-to-Google-Busine...

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Nathan,

It could be a bug in Google or it could be due to Google finding conflicting elsewhere on third party business listing sites.

What would really help prevent this too is to mark up your hours using Schema. Instructions on this: http://www.whitespark.ca/blog/post/62-the-json-ld-markup-guide-to-local-business-schema

It could also very well be based on your "Hours of Operation" data for your business that lives on different web properties. For example, I found this listing that is conflicting and this one

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jordan,

If Google trusts third party sites, that's going to be an unavoidable issue. Third party websites will constantly paste over their own content for our properties in an attempt to retain traffic, and it would be a truly daunting task to try and keep on top of the dozens of third party web properties that include that information.

Is SCHEMA markup even possible with a full calendar of hours of operation? If we reverted to a dynamic calendar that updated itself weekly, would Google keep on top of these changes or is it updated at random?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan S
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Nathan S

This will keep happening based on 3rd parties info unfortunately. I would certainly track down all of them that say closed on certain days and at least have a set standard of hours

Another thing you could do is set your full calendar of hours with special hours.

Have set standard hours then use special hours to update, this should override any 3rd party info

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Adding-Holiday-amp-Special-Hours-to-Google-Busine...

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tim!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So google will trust some random website over the business owner? Not sure what the point of google my business is then. I'm really tired of having to change my hours.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Loko B

Yes it is frustrating, but if Google finds and authority site showing your business hours as something else, and they cannot find your hours elsewhere, they trust the published site as correct.

So, it up to you to make sure your hours are correct across all sites showing your details out there.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

that is the stupidest thing ever. 

"hey person who owns and runs business, we don't think you are right. Even though you have to change it 2-3 times a week. You must not know your own business but YYY website really does"

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @chad d

Yup, I agree, sounds stupid.

I'll try and explain from their point of view ( not that it will change any frustration ). Google deals with hundreds of millions of listings and an equal number of landmarks and point of interests. Given that almost 70% of business listings are not verified, they have to rely on other online information and or user feedback.

When I say other online information, it has to be quite substantive, not just one random site with different hours listed for the business, it has to be consecutively listed with those hours across quite a few places.

The real frustration is when a user makes the suggestion in maps because if the owner does not check into their account and reject the updates, then it will more then likely be changed - easier to find and fix incorrect details online then user suggestions.

Yup, very frustrating and I feel it with clients listings all the time.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

If you post anything on the web with the intent it will show in search then I am afraid its your responsibility to keep it up to date.

And proactively change it when changing business name, phone no, address or Category for a new business at a location on all of the web, and I advise before changing a verified GMB entry, so google trust the change and to avoid many bad issues.

So it perhaps pays these days to consider where to post your data with a view to maintaining it rather than shotgun approach for percieved ranking benefit.

All PR and advertising has a cost in hours or spend. Whilst a GMB entry is free there is still a cost in maintaining and promoting it.

Andrew.