My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why can't we add custom categories any more?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In business categories why can't we add custom categories any more? And if we can't then why isn't there a create or suggest new category?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why can't we add custom categories any more?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
custom categories can't added since GoogleMyBusiness was launched years ago.
And taking a closer look onto the "system" all categories are hosted and managed in https://developers.google.com/my-business/content/categories

you might get an idea why not being able to add any custom category.
The main reason is IMHO: GMB cat's are worldwide unified

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
All I know is that I originally was able to but that was a few years ago. Then Google changed everything, then my business stopped showing up in local searches for a couple years. Like completely gone. Google reps said sorry they couldn't do anything about it. It's all the algorithms. So I had no local visibility because of their "Algorithms" even though I had done everything they told me to do.
Sorry side rant but I'm not very happy with Googles BS "Systems".
So finally a couple years later my business is finally pretty searchable on local searches again. At least for the things there are categories for but for a category like CAD design my business still doesn't show up. It's listed in my introduction but apparently that doesn't do squat for searches. Now CAD design is a huge industry. How is that not a category? More importantly why is it not easy to suggest a category?
Then there are thousands of things that are much less common things that would never have a category listed? What if my business specialized in an uncommon category like rapid prototyping of 3D printed plastics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sooo is this just a place where frustrated people get to blow off some steam or does anyone from Google actually come in here and try to help people or improve?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
to make it more clear:

In case there are obvious errors in the list of categories I linked you earlier (even in case listed cats doesn't work at all or in a certain country) we TCs can (and will do) escalating such errors.
But we can't escalate any missing custom categories.
And even in case of the very rare cases we escalated categories as "missing" since we consider such cats as very important we had not yet much success.
The only recommendation I can give you is using the feedback option of the product "GoogleMyBusiness" to request such important but missing cats to the developpers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah I have already done that. Even tried talking to someone at one point. They just started suggesting other categories that were completely unrelated but sounded computery.
I guess I just have to accept that Google is well designed for the majority but poorly for the individual.
It just drives me a little crazy when Google is touted as this amazing progressive company but is completely incapable of addressing or resolving noteworthy issues, having capable customer service or tech support or follow through with little things like bringing Drive to Linux. Even though they run it internally.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a antique/fine art framing business that creates custom frames for priceless works of art it is quite frustrating to be stuck with "ART FRAMING STORE".  Talk about missing the mark Google.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I think there are some 'additional details' fields which someone here cunningly used for additional categories. Also it gets round the 'crippled' list of categories. I think some intern, might be in a film, cut and pasted the base list from another web directory! Might get Suspended for using the additional details that way. The business was a towing service with no suitable additional categories for what they actually do.

As an IT professional I have some issues with Googles IT development department which I rank as 'Poor'.

Additional Categories were removed as a poor anti-spam initiative. Personally I do not understand why a business would advertise a service which when they pick the phone up they do not supply, so wasting their time. Spam is really another issue.

In the guidelines they say the business name should be the registered name.

I advise something like 'Einstein Cleaners in Boston'.

A unique real word and what you do and where you are.

Despite this guideline and there being a seperate Category field and Address fields some programmer parses out Category and Location from the business name and then uses them for ranking!!!! How many times have I complained about that?

Now this does cause other real problems, along with just one Category.

A builder posted here.

His business name was 'XYZ Contractor'

His main business Category was 'Builder'.

And he offered 'Design Services'.

Now because of this poor programming he did not appear at all for 'Building in ABC' because it did not agree with 'Contractor' in the business name!

He did at least rank reasonably  for 'Building Design in ABC' because Google does now use 'Semantic Web' technology and picks out 'meaning' in your description and all your other web directory text.

My advice was for him to use 'XYZ Builder' in the name.

And maybe treat the design part as a seperate business at the address.

Its own phone no and a Suite 1 added to the address.

Appropriate if a dedicated person provides that service.

'XYZ Building Design' as the name.

You can use GMB to reflect how you do business in the real world.

So the answer is for 'Additional Categories' is write good content across the web mentioning the additional categories in context. You write a series of sentences joining the business name with its services. And the services with sub-services. It does appear to work.

I will Post this thread on Gogoles Facebook page.

Andrew