My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Why aren't people able to write a review on brand pages?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two local businesses, both are for services and I do not have a brick and mortar storefront.  I run the businesses out of my home, and of course, do not want that address published.  I am trying to get my social media presence up and running for both businesses.  I created pages for both.  I wanted to send a link to those pages for my customers to write a review.  

Why in the world does Google not allow services pages to have reviews?  I have read elsewhere in the forum that this is the case. That seems very asinine to me.  Service businesses are just as legitimate as brick and mortar businesses.  We should be able to receive reviews as well! Is there any chance that is changing in the near future?  Being that they have made the changes to the interface, I was hoping that they would be changing this too.  I cant be the only one that wants reviews available.  It seems like a huge flaw in the system to not include that.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Thanx all!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why aren't people able to write a review on brand pages?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kimberly C,

I think what you're seeing is actually part of the new Google+ page layout. Those 'recent changes' were actually when Google removed the 'leave a review' option on ALL local businesses. On the plus side, that at least means Google's not discriminating against Service area businesses, and it means that since everyone's had to deal with it, there have been some good solutions that have been figured out. It does mean though that you can't just send customers to your Google+ page anymore when you ask them to leave a review. It's also one more reason that any time investment as a local business owner in Google+ is going to be of questionable value (unless your customers all use Google+ of course) but at least building reviews is still an incredibly important thing to do, even if it's more cumbersome now to actually do it. 

There's a lot of difference methods that people use, but I personally like this one. When figuring out how to get reviews on Google now, there's a few things you want to make sure of. Does it work when someone is logged in with their Google account? Logged out? On a mobile phone or a desktop? Etc. That tool above will create a link that works in all those circumstances, and you can either use their button directly, or you can just paste the link in wherever else you'd like it. It drops them on a page that shows all your other reviews too, so it's a good way to showcase what people are saying about you, right in those last few seconds before their own fingers hit the keyboard. It's not perfect, and other people would possibly point you towards a different solution, but so it goes... this is where we are now. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello @Kimberly C,

I had the same problem after the update of Google plus. Now, I use a review box generator:
https://pleper.com/index.php?do=tools&sdo=google_review_link
Hope to be helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have looked into this months ago too and there wasn't any place to submit a review on my page, so I didn't think it just changed with the new layout. Either way though it blows that they made this more difficult to get reviews. Why in the world would they do this for local businesses let alone services businesses?

James - thank you for the solution but according to the info on that page, you need to click on Write a review to find my Cid number and Lrd number. There is no place for me to click on Write a Review, so how am supposed to find that info? I don't have a maps listing because I don't have a storefront. How do I find that info then?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
to all of you chiming in to a topic "Why aren't people able to write a review on brand pages?"

Simple asnwer:
because it never have been implemented for brand pages.
The background of this intention/decision might be:

local pages are for businesses facing their customers somewhat personally.
Buisness with a brand pages do not.
And if your read how to post a review they make clear this:
you have to search and finde the business page via GMaps to be able to write a review:
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6230175?hl=en
or
https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3137717?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I'd be happy to help you get that link set up. If you can post your business information (link to Google plus page, name of business, etc.) it'd just take a minute or two and I'd be happy to do it. 

Reading through what you wrote again though, I had a thought... do you have a service area business listing (a business page with hidden address, phone number, service radius, and so on, that you verified with a postcard) or just a brand page? Brand pages can't, and at least as far as I know, have never been able to get reviews, because that's not what they're for. There's a ton of people running various kinds of businesses out of their homes using a service area local listing without any privacy issues... you do have to give your address, and they mail you a postcard to verify, but it's against Google's TOS even for you to leave your address public if you're running a business that you don't receive drop-ins with during stated business hours. Anyway, if you've got an actual service area Google my Business listing, I'd be happy to help. I'm visiting family, but I'll be able to hit it tonight if no one else feels like doing it first. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.