My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

What's it called?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In a google search, the returns that appear below the PPC returns but above the organic returns - what are those returns called?

My business appears in that group and if I click on my return another page appears - is that my google business page?

Where do I edit that page?

Also, I have somehow ended up with 4 google + pages in addition to My Account (I created 2 pages, one for each business). I'm reluctant to remove the extra pages because I'm warned that all images and info across google will also be removed - some photos and information are the same on all 4 pages and I don't want to re-do everything on the 2 pages I did create if I can avoid it.

Thank you for any info on the above that you can provide.

dittybows

WeShootProducts.com

North Hollywood CA

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dittybows
May 2016

Re: What's it called?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you everyone for the help, I needed it. I think however that I'm going to drop google business - it hasn't help my business at all, in fact business has fallen off since I've been in the 3 pack returns (that's a guess, not sure when the 3 packs started), and with the MORE link at the bottom of the 3 pack it really isn't limited to 3 advertisers. I'd rather searchers go directly to my website from the organic returns and get a full and accurate presentation.

Add to this that someone or google keeps fooling with my photos on the 3-pack - photos that I know for a fact that I didn't put up on that page - they were on my website and mysteriously appeared on my 3 pack page, uploaded so big that they are only partially visible. Whenever a photo like that appears I sign in to my account and go thru all the business pages to try and find those photos but none are there - they only exist on my website (and my hard drive of course) - then at a later time I'll go back to the 3 pack page and they will be gone. I know that no one in my small business put them up, no one here wants to go near the 3 pack page - marketing is my job and those pages are a confusing pain to work with.

Actually I didn't create my first 3 -pack page - google did. I subscribed to a similar service they had (don't remember the name) and paid $50 a month for it. Can anyone tell me when the 3 pack began? It was only recently (a couple of weeks ago) when business began to fall off that I went online to check my listing and discovered the 3 pack! And it was a mess - wrong geographic location, wrong photos not sized properly, and a bad layout. I know it was google who built it - who else? And the geographic location they posted is the address from the credit card I used for AD Words. It would have been nice for them to notify me of the change, but also I was remiss on staying on top of my google advertising.
Thank you again. And if anyone can shed light on some of these issues I would appreciate it greatly.
dittybows

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Are you talking about the map results? Those are usually called the 3-pack. 

Your Google My Business page, as it stands now, is a little complicated. There's an actual Google My Business profile that exists for your business if you're showing in the 3-pack, but it's very difficult for anyone to figure out how to access that page directly. A better way to think of it, that page is sort of like your form you fill out about your business, that Google then uses to fill in results all over the place. Maps, organic search, the knowledge panel, and so on. None of those are your profile exactly, but they all pull information from your profile. 

As far as your other profiles.... I could only find one that's still active and connected with Google maps. If you're seeing others in your dashboard, they're not live, and aren't hurting anything one way or the other. For your second business (presumably we shoot jewelry) the page looks like it was deleted recently. If that wasn't something you did, might have been because you were using the same phone number for both. It's kind of gray waters to have two profiles for a single business with two different areas of service, so if you wanted to have both businesses showing, you might have to call into support and prove that both are indeed separately incorporated business entities that both deserve their own page. Since they'll both have such similar categories though, you might find it's a little bit of an uphill battle. 

As far as where to access your weshootproducts GMB profile, it says you've verified the business with at some point (probably with a postcard with a PIN). Do you have the login information still? You should be able to log in and manage your profile at google.com/business if you still have the login info. I linked to the profile itself right up above, but like I said, literally no one is ever going to find it, unless it's someone like me interested in looking under the hood. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Argh - my first answer disappeared for some reason.

What you're describing is what's called the "local pack" and yes, this is where your business listings show.
http://www.screencast.com/t/NNGP7JzEZun2

I see 3 listings for your business:
https://plus.google.com/104518923787509428802 - brand page, OK to stay
https://plus.google.com/113222655091986614650 - local listing, pick one
https://plus.google.com/102116937436772269906 - local listing, pick one

Instead of deleting one of the pages, contact support and ask them to merge the pages. That way you'll keep the photos and reviews - you might lose the one post you've put up.
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

It's OK to have a brand page and a local listing at the same time. Just know the brand page is not very likely to show in the organic search results and does not allow for reviews. The local listing can show in the local pack and does allow customer reviews.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sorry James, didn't mean to post over top of you. Wonder if that's why my original post fell off - two posts collided.

Find me on · · my blog

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
No worries, you found some dupes I missed anyway, the more the merrier. Where'd you find them? I skipped a map maker search since they were service area businesses, but I know the site:plus.google.com road isn't so reliable anymore...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi James - used the site: search.
normally I back those up with the pleper tool search that uses the API, but for some reason it's not giving me anything for this one.

Find me on · · my blog

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dittybows
May 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you everyone for the help, I needed it. I think however that I'm going to drop google business - it hasn't help my business at all, in fact business has fallen off since I've been in the 3 pack returns (that's a guess, not sure when the 3 packs started), and with the MORE link at the bottom of the 3 pack it really isn't limited to 3 advertisers. I'd rather searchers go directly to my website from the organic returns and get a full and accurate presentation.

Add to this that someone or google keeps fooling with my photos on the 3-pack - photos that I know for a fact that I didn't put up on that page - they were on my website and mysteriously appeared on my 3 pack page, uploaded so big that they are only partially visible. Whenever a photo like that appears I sign in to my account and go thru all the business pages to try and find those photos but none are there - they only exist on my website (and my hard drive of course) - then at a later time I'll go back to the 3 pack page and they will be gone. I know that no one in my small business put them up, no one here wants to go near the 3 pack page - marketing is my job and those pages are a confusing pain to work with.

Actually I didn't create my first 3 -pack page - google did. I subscribed to a similar service they had (don't remember the name) and paid $50 a month for it. Can anyone tell me when the 3 pack began? It was only recently (a couple of weeks ago) when business began to fall off that I went online to check my listing and discovered the 3 pack! And it was a mess - wrong geographic location, wrong photos not sized properly, and a bad layout. I know it was google who built it - who else? And the geographic location they posted is the address from the credit card I used for AD Words. It would have been nice for them to notify me of the change, but also I was remiss on staying on top of my google advertising.
Thank you again. And if anyone can shed light on some of these issues I would appreciate it greatly.
dittybows

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi dittybows,
The foundation program to Google My Business began in 2009. Google periodically adds business listings to the local search pack based on information it finds around the web and receives from a wide variety of sources.

As far as the pictures go, hard to diagnose without seeing them first hand. It's possible the images were coming from members of the public, or from a bot that "thought" the images came from your business.

Please know that even if you choose not to participate in the program, Google will very likely keep your page in the listings anyway. Claiming it at least prevents someone else from claiming it and potentially doing something no so nice with it.

You can load your own images to the page to help prevent some of the quirks you described.

Does that help?

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Margaret,
First I'd like to say thank you for taking time to help me, I greatly appreciate it.

I think Google shouldn't add anything to someone's business page. If they feel compelled to add something send an email to the owner instead (it will take them less time) and let the owner decide if he thinks the addition will improve their business - google doesn't know my market better than I do and what will work to get new business and what will not.

I still have not decided whether to remove my business page or not. I'm afraid if I do, that long line of competitors under the MORE link below me will just move up a notch and I might be sorry. I think I'm on top only because google created my page (without my participation) way back when Google business was started.

My photos seemed to have stopped changing - all that's been up there for 2 days now are properly sized images that I posted. I have my fingers crossed.

My latest tale of woe is the map icon on the returns page - my competitors all have a globe and a map icons, I only have a globe. I'm verified and I placed the map pointer on my location well over a week ago. Is there anything more I can do to get the map icon on my return - not that my potential clients need it but without that icon my listing looks anemic next to my competitors.

The irony of all this is that google business could have been replaced by an asterisk at the top of the page with the word "Local" next to it and an asterisk next to each local business, instead of all this unnecessary busy work - I much rather potential clients just go directly to my website as they used to do.

I have tried to ask google the questions I've been asking you but they're not easy to get in touch with - I have multiple phone numbers none of which work but I've gotten thru twice - one tech just didn't know how to do what I needed, the other tech was knowledgeable and was able to get the correct location on my page.
Thank you again.
dittybows

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi dittybows
Not 100% sure what you mean by "globe" and "map icon" but I'll hazard a guess you mean the blue "globe" with the word "website" underneath and the blue "arrow" with the word "directions" underneath.

Your page appears to have its address hidden. This is appropriate for service area businesses. In other words, if you don't have a shop front / studio people can visit during business hours, then Google classifies this business type as a "service area business" and hides the address.

The globe means Google has a website for you and is inviting people to visit your website from there. The lack of "directions" icon prevents people from getting driving directions to your registered location.

Find me on · · my blog