My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

What Does Google Call This layout display

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When you search for Orlando Attractions, a series of businesses that Google clearly identifies as being points of interest are displayed above the organic results. 

I have noticed this format used for other "destination + attractions" format searches.

What is the name for this layout if there is one? How would a location / small business go about optimizing on-page or off-page to show up in this group? 

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 4.00.29 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy P
October 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ah, I see what you are saying, and I think "manipulating" is probably the best word to use.

And now I also understand what you are trying to do. What I would suggest is to have those businesses host a few community events. Brand those as best as you can. Also, encourage people to "check-in" to those places when they visit (on Facebook and Google). From what I see, there are lots of events hosted, and these are common places for people to visit.

For Google, have people take pictures of the area and upload it to the Google Map Listing for that location. One tip/trick would be to have them upload all these pictures from multiple accounts. That could catch Google's eye to start considering that location as a major local attraction, and possible consider it for that list to fill in the blank spaces as you have noticed.

Just my two cents and worth a shot for sure! Unfortunately, it's just a game of what-if's. Do keep me posted if you notice any success or positive movement for these. This definitely would be an interesting topic to follow...

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My initial guess would be the "carousel" since that's what they called similar things in the past, but other than that I don't believe there is an official name for this.

I want to say that a local business won't be able to get optimized for this section. This is a very restricted area so only the most popular places (mostly internationally recognized places) would have a chance to appear here.

With that said, I don't have a definite answer on how to optimize for this area, but what exactly are you trying to get optimized to appear here?

Re: What Does Google Call This layout display

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Justin. 

I'd agree that Carousel would be a likely option, I was just under the impression that the carousel was being officially phased out altogether. So it struck me as odd that it appears now in a newly designed format. 

I'm not trying to rank a business in this specific list, but more localized areas (not internationally known regions), where the same results display. 

Panama City Beach, Florida, for example. I suspect that it can be "manipulated" (possibly the wrong word) in some sense, because otherwise, why would a club appear in this listing (Club La Vela - see image attached). 

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 4.30.42 PM.pngpanama city beach attractions

I represent a couple of businesses who are legitimate attractions in this area. Who would be more relevant than the club. Plus, there are clearly "spaces" open. 

So I was hoping to get an understanding of what actions might encourage consideration for listing there. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandy P
October 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ah, I see what you are saying, and I think "manipulating" is probably the best word to use.

And now I also understand what you are trying to do. What I would suggest is to have those businesses host a few community events. Brand those as best as you can. Also, encourage people to "check-in" to those places when they visit (on Facebook and Google). From what I see, there are lots of events hosted, and these are common places for people to visit.

For Google, have people take pictures of the area and upload it to the Google Map Listing for that location. One tip/trick would be to have them upload all these pictures from multiple accounts. That could catch Google's eye to start considering that location as a major local attraction, and possible consider it for that list to fill in the blank spaces as you have noticed.

Just my two cents and worth a shot for sure! Unfortunately, it's just a game of what-if's. Do keep me posted if you notice any success or positive movement for these. This definitely would be an interesting topic to follow...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Justin. I like that input. 

"Manipulate" might have been a poor choice of words on my part. I worry that it suggests a level of dishonesty or unethical intentions, which is not the case. Perhaps "Influence" would be better? Anyway... 

Just a quick follow up to your suggestion, are you aware of any examples / forum posts discussing where the actions you suggested have been successful elsewhere? 

I think they are good ideas regardless, and i do plan to implement them to experiment. I just wondered if this is something grounded in real world examples already, where I can do some more research? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sure, let's go with influence! Ha! :)

I could give you examples where it works and examples where it didn't work, so that's where I was saying how it's a game of what-if's. Besides, if Google gave us all the answers, this would quite literally be the easiest job ever!

I'll keep my eye out and add this to my list of things to research this week and get back with you if I find anything.