My Business
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Website Link keeps getting removed from business listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had my website link removed from the business page twice now in the past month or so.  I recently switched to Squarespace as my website host, and the problems have cropped up since then.  When I go to the business page, I see the notification that some of my information has been edited, and the website link is gone.  The first time it happened, I was unable to update it myself.  I was able to get a Google help desk employee to add it manually, and that fix seemed to work, until sometime in the past few days, when it disappeared again.  It is really killing my search results, which are a main driver for new sources of work for me as a photographer.  I found a resource on the web that mentioned that it could be related to SSL security and/or whether the page functions with the "https" prefix.   Squarespace does not have SSL enabled, unless you are in a checkout page or logged in, so that could be a possibility.  However, as big as Squarespace is, I feel like I would find more results when searching for the issue.  When I was working with the Google tech support person the first time, she said that she could see on her end that the "URL was rejected", but that was all I could get out of her, and that doesn't really get me anywhere.  I have verified my domain in Search Console, am showing no issues or problems there at all, including checking for manual actions.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is an issue that is costing me time and money and creating a lot of stress, would just like to get it resolved so I can stop worrying about it.  If it was just the local listing, it wouldn't be a huge deal, but every time the website is pulled from the local listing, it kills me in search results as well.

Business Name: Scott Myers Photography

Business listing: https://goo.gl/maps/nzxmWq39L3K2

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Debatingwhat is the actual URL that is being rejected?

is this the correct website? https://scott-myers-lw78.squarespace.com/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.  The correct URL should be: http://www.scottmyersphotography.com/

That is what has always been listed on the My Business page, what I use for my main address, and what I have tried to get reinstated recently.  

Could I ask how you were able to find that URL that you listed?  I think that should theoretically only be visible if I am logged in.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Scott M

despite of the fact @Mike Blumenthal is already "on it" I like to give my two cents:

Here we go:

I recently have created and coordnated with Google an article to summarize my findings:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12otVIWXu3fmZVk3W7PwfySBpg6HZpHtbWNKmvW0R_Ss/edit?usp=sharing

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I found it my searching on your business + city on Google. I think that the fact that it shows publicly is at the nub of the problem but I am not sure. 

Contact Square and see if you can get the square URL redirected to your domain. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Helmut GeisslerHelmut thanks for your input and research. How many of these other sites were on sites like Square or Wix? It could be related to the way that they are handling the redirects. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Mike Blumenthal

I don't know this exactly but guessing you are right that sites like Square or Wix are related to the way that they are handling the redirects.

I btw sent you  a PM about how I "coordinated" my article with Google folks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Scott M

as Helmut has indicated Google is "not seeing" your site correctly. 

It is necessary for you to goto Google Search console and determine if your web software is blocking the Google bot. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not found any indications anywhere in Search Console that anything is being blocked or rejected.  I have spent a good amount of time looking into it from that end, with no success.  If you can be more specific regarding where I would look in Search Console and what for, I can certainly try again

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Scott M

my linked article doesn't mention the search console as the only source to indicate reasons for your website issues.