My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Walking food tours - can the location be the start of the tour?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I've recently started working at a company that does walking food tours - you taste local food as you walk around a small area in Rome (or London, Amsterdam, Prague, Florence). I want to make sure our customers searching for us realise where it is we will run the tours. But our current Google for Business listing shows our registered addresses, which are often nowhere near where the tour is! Surely customers would benefit from seeing where we operate, not where we keep our filing?! What should we do? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! :) 

Thanks,

Chris from Eating Europe Tours 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chris

It's annoying and I'm having the same problem - did you ever find a solution. We start from outside a pub and want to have that as the 'start location' rather than my home address (where business is registered).

Many thanks,

Noel

Re: Walking food tours - can the location be the start of the tour?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Noel, not really - sorry! 

Here's a conversation I had on Twitter with someone from Google My Business:

-------

Hi Chris, In answer to the question you posted on our ad community website, I believe I understand the natue of your business. With local business listings, you need to have the registered business address entered in the listing. However, you have a choice as to whether or not to show the business street address. If your "walking tours" business meets customers in other locations than the business address, then you should hide your street address from the listing. You would then be identifying the business as a "service area business". You can inform your customers where the meeting places are in other ways like in the business description, on your website or through your business phone. However, the business listing connected to Google Maps is not setup to allow for any addresses to be show (or hidden in this case) in the address area other than the physical location of the business. Here is an article which shows how to hide your street address if you decide this is the best solution for your needs. https://goo.gl/HWQBR5  I hope I've helped, but if you have any additional questions, please reply back and I'll be happy to assist you further. Best wishes, Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply - it is helpful, but I think it sounds to me like business like mine are handicapped. We cannot, for instance, have a pin on a Google Map (or an Ad based on a pin for Google Map) which relates to the meeting point, even though that is what would make most sense to a customer. - Chris

Hey Chris, Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I'm going to forward your comments to a team that evaluates customer feedback to improve or enhance our products. Perhaps something can be done to accomodate your business needs in the future. Best, Mike

Hi Mike, many thanks for this. If there's any way at all I could be kept in the loop on any changes that my feedback leads to, I'd be tremendously grateful! - Chris 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply. I'll continue to try and find ways round the problem - there must be a lot of similar well established businesses - market stalls, mobile food vendors, street side sellers, and tours that have the same problem. It's definitely something that Google needs to consider

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great - good luck! I'll also update on here if I make any progress.