My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

WHAAAT is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am utterly confused by this whole process.

I want to understand this google business process, but I am at a loss.

How do I know if I have a brand account, a personal account, a business account?  I cannot for the life of me figure it out.  

I can't even work out how to add an image for this forum.  

When I login to my business home I see a card format listing of 'business accounts you own or manage'.  There is a card that is my name.  Should it be my name?  Or should there be a separate account with the business name?

When I click on the card that I think is a business account, but it is my name, then I see a list of 'locations'.

I feel as though I should have a business account in my business name where I can edit info about my business and then I should have a location where I can edit info about that specific location?  

It's going to be wine time soon.  Very frustrated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Berwick M
October 2016

WHAAAT is going on?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Berwick M,

You are welcome. 

Everything looks great. You have it correct.

Now then, in your last image & arghhh moment, that is how many feel about the layout differences between classic G+ and the new G+. You see, Google rewrote G+ about 8 months ago (around that) and that is the new G+. If you look in the lower left hand corner, you will see a link that use classic G+ and you can go back to it. You can switch back and forth and play around with things and see how they vary... and you can learn more here (the last link takes you to the classic G+ help). And you should join Martin's really great community here. And follow Denis Labelle, who is brilliant with G+ and super helpful... and he has his own community covering G+, too. Martin is a Google Small Business Advisor here and highly respected. And Denis is a highly-esteemed professional. I am honored to know them and to have learned so much from them both. 

And, of course, we here at the Google My Business is here to answer questions and lend help like I have been. We are happy to assist in any way we can. 

Please note there are vast differences with the two versions, but they are one in the same. They are not additional & separate pages... just two different user interfaces (layouts). 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

WHAAAT is going on?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Berwick M,

It can be a bit confusing, but we can shed some light on things for you.

Google+ pages are either business pages (they are named after a business) or a personal page (name after a person). A personal G+ page is simply that. However a G+ page for a business can be a brand, organization or artist page. 

A Google account can be for personal or business use, depending on your use and needs. 

To add a photo here in the forums, you have to click on Full Editor in lower right hand corner (after clicking on the large Reply button) when replying to a post. Or when making a new thread (we are talking in your thread), you click on the words IMAGE in the menu bar. 

When you click on the card that has your name, that is taking you to your Google My Business dashboard, where all of your G+ pages are, along with online presence like Search & Maps. This allows you one place to manage them.

I have many business pages managed in the Google My Business dashboard and have the same set up as you. I think you are set up correctly. Break out the wine, and sip and read the links I provided. Once the the info (and wine) settles in... stop back by and post up what we can explain further and help with.

Think of each of them as separate products connected by your email address used with your Google Account. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Re: WHAAAT is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James

Thank you so much for your reply.  Clearly I had such a fun time here previously I've jumped back in straight away - ha!

So...

One can sign up for a gmail account.  Then they can choose to make a google+ page.  Google+ accounts can be  personal or business.  If a google+ account is business related then it is managed via google my business dashboard that looks like this:Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 12.32.33 PM.png

So, is this correct? There is nothing on my dashboard because I don't have any business location google+ pages, but I have a brand so it appears under the 'brand pages' section?

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 12.32.42 PM.png

It's a physical therapy business, in case the pic looks funny!

What is the difference between a brand page and a location page?  I understand the difference in the real world, but what is the difference in the google world?  

Now, this is what I really want to know.  Local business google search results.  If for example I searched for Thai restaurants then google will show me a map and thai restaurants in the local area.  Where does google get that info from?  Webpages or google plus accounts?  AND if I have a business that offers a few types of services, what influences the search results for each of the types of services.  So if I offer physio treatments and sports massage - how does google know that I offer multiple services.

Thank you for your reply.  I was clear and understandable.  Unlike the google instructions.  The fog has lifted although it's still pretty cloudy!!

Many thanks

Kim

WHAAAT is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I already have another question.

What are locations?  Are they Google+ pages?  Are they linked to google+ pages? 

If I have a business should I have a location page and a google+brand page? 

Hmm...

WHAAAT is going on?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Berwick M,

You are very welcome and are doing great with expanding your knowledge with all of this. I am happy I was able to provide usable content.  

Your image looks great and I do understand your business type. You provide an important service. 

Okay, let's see...

If someone provides services at a physical address, such as at an office or facility, they would want to have a local G+ page and not a brand page. A brand page does not provide a street address... a local page does and it includes a map listing with business hours phone numbers, etc. Either of the two are G+ pages and work much the same except for the addresses being shown. Think of a brand page as one for a famous person or artist that wants to share content and connect with fans and followers but does not offer a place to visit them.

In your case, you would want a local G+ page (unless you do not offer a facility to work from) so that Google will publish your location and contact info.  

You can actually convert/merge a brand page to a local page, if need be. 

Now, let's talk a little more about webpages and the SERPs (search engine results pages). Up until about a year ago, website content shaped what showed in the results. However, Google changed their system to include G+ posts, which is a really great thing for businesses. This means that you can write engaging content about your products, services or business and when people are your local area search for related keywords and keyterms, your content can show. 

Google searchbots crawl the web indexing content that is used to match content with searches and then feeds that content to them. They use what words are written on your website and G+ pages (and some other social media sites) to do that. With a website, this is where the term SEO (search engine optimization) comes into play. This means to structure the website and contents to best serve it to the search engines. Along with the this, website speed, being mobile-friendly, having your information listed in local directories (BBB, YP, YELP, etc.) all help to cement your business online, which lets your business be served more (or matched up more to searches). And the more times you are served, the more chances you have at gaining a phone call or visit by someone needing your services. 

To see how your business shows, use a web browser that you are not logged in to and do a search for your full company name. Take some notes at how it shows up, what spot you in, and if you have a Google Knowledge Panel (the large info box on the right side of the search results). Next, close the browser, clear your cache (history & cookies) and do a search for your website address. Do the same review and compare how they look. Keep this info and use it in a few weeks to do it again.

Now, think about how a customer would search for your services, such as physical therapy (add your city), which is the keyterm... and see how you show up. If you do not show up on the first page, you have work to do. Ideally, you will be in the local three pack (top three listings under the ads). This is the top of the list, premium placement. You want to be here for as many keywords and keyterms as you can. Search engines work by pairing up keywords and keyterms with websites so you need to have relevancy with as many terms as possible that are related to your business. 

Since Google is complex and businesses are complex, they do great with the complexities of businesses that offer various products and services. And they do even better when we, business owners & web developers) help them along, which brings us back to SEO. 

Once a small business creates a website, they must work on making that website a great user experience for visitors. How do they do that? They provide a well-structured website with relevant content presented on a fast-loading and mobile-responsive, modern website. It also must not have errors or issues that harm a visitor or that prevents Google from crawling your website. 

You should also be using Google Analytics and Google Search Console to better understand what is happening with your website. 

Once Google Search Console is reviewed, let's check up on your site speed, mobile-friendliness and some SEO (search engine optimization) stuff. Search Console will also show you error pages, and lots of really important info about your website's relationship with Google. 

1) Visit Google Search Console.

2) Use the Google Developers Speed Test and work on fixing the issues so that your score is 89 or higher for both mobile & desktop.

3) Rerun the Google Speed Test but use this tool instead. Make sure you have a mobile score of 100.

4) Run your site through this SEO score checker.

5) Visit Google Analytics and setup your website.

Utilize the steps as they are outlined. Visit #1 and dig into your website actions with Google. Use #2 to bring your score up and get any optimized content to download & use. Complete everything and then go to #3. Complete everything and go to step #4. Now go to step #5 and dig into what is actually happening with visitors and your website.

All of this will be a continual process of repeating the above steps 2-3 times per month for the life of your business. This is called website development and optimization, and this is where far too many small business fail. They pay someone to build a site and then everyone walks away. A website, social pages and the online presence of a business is a living product that needs nurtured to excel. And any business that does so will outplace and outpace those that do not do it. This is where the search engines are a level playing field and a small business can do better than a massive corporation.

Please let us know what you discover and enjoy the process.

King Regards,

James

Re: WHAAAT is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So.  Can you please let me know if I have this right?

I have a GMB Dashboard:Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.50.23 PM.png

When I click on 'Manage Location'  I am sent to my Local GMB Page:Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.50.46 PM.png

Then I scroll down and there is a google+ box/link:Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.50.52 PM.png

When I click on the Google+ page I end up here:Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.51.11 PM.png

Then I am asked to go to the new google+ that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.46.15 PM.png

What is the above page?  It doesn't look like a business page?  There is no business info.  

Is that what a Business Google+ page is supposed to look like?  Arghhhhh....

I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find any basic help articles that actually answer my questions.  Thank you so much for your help - I am really grateful.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Berwick M
October 2016

WHAAAT is going on?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Berwick M,

You are welcome. 

Everything looks great. You have it correct.

Now then, in your last image & arghhh moment, that is how many feel about the layout differences between classic G+ and the new G+. You see, Google rewrote G+ about 8 months ago (around that) and that is the new G+. If you look in the lower left hand corner, you will see a link that use classic G+ and you can go back to it. You can switch back and forth and play around with things and see how they vary... and you can learn more here (the last link takes you to the classic G+ help). And you should join Martin's really great community here. And follow Denis Labelle, who is brilliant with G+ and super helpful... and he has his own community covering G+, too. Martin is a Google Small Business Advisor here and highly respected. And Denis is a highly-esteemed professional. I am honored to know them and to have learned so much from them both. 

And, of course, we here at the Google My Business is here to answer questions and lend help like I have been. We are happy to assist in any way we can. 

Please note there are vast differences with the two versions, but they are one in the same. They are not additional & separate pages... just two different user interfaces (layouts). 

Kind Regards,

James

WHAAAT is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you James. 

I think I have it worked out now and would have taken me about ten years longer without your help!!

I shall look into the communities that you mentioned.

Thank you again!!

Kim