My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Very frustrating experience with google local

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
At our old address we were marked on the GMaps. We moved offices in March 2015 and requested that our address be updated.  We have lots of visitors to our office as we runs events from the office. When our visitors type our name into Google it tries to match it to a university based in another part of the country. This is a problem for us, and our visitors who regularly get lost.

Like most organisations the main signage is in the lobby. I have sent The Google My Business Team photos from the lobby which shows our logo next to a number 3 (which stands for floor 3) and two photos of the slightly more ad hoc signage that exists on our floor.  We are told that we cannot be listed on because we don't have our own reception (we are a small business of 5 staff and their is a centralised reception for the whole building). However all the other businesses within our same office are listed. They all operate under the same auspices as us - a central reception, then individual floors on an open planned basis. Looking at the map of London I see scores of business that operate in open plan offices and even some that are coworking spaces.

If it was really Google's policy to only allow one listing per office building, it would mean that they could not list the thousands and thousands of businesses throughout the world who work in office blocks and open plan offices.

Our website, the Charity Commission and Companies House all list our Charity at this address. I can't seem to get a clear answer from The Google My Business Team about what we can do to prove we work here other than a photo of a fictional reception. Surely this can't be the only method of validation; we pass every listed criteria in Google's guidelines. Can someone help as this is seriously affecting the ability to run our charity?

1. Full business name: Institution of Environmental Sciences
2. Current business address: Floor 3, 140 London Wall, London, EC2Y 5DN
3. Current telephone number: +44 20 7601 1920
4. Google+ URL: https://business.google.com/u/0/b/104227873487955670737/dashboard/l/05173473337861165408?hl=en

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Very frustrating experience with google local

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
would yo mind please your old address in London?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Floor 2, 34 Grosvenor Gardens, London, SW1W 0DH. Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut - where you able to locate it by the old address. Anymore guidance to what I can do? Another group of visitors ended up in the wrong place today.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Adam D

sorry about the delay answering.

The forum notification feature was broken for couple of days and I missed your replies entirely up to now.

Regarding the old address:

I can't seem finding any listing for this address.

More: searching for "Institution of Environmental Sciences" in or near London I don't get any result at all - not even for the "wrong place"

Can you provide me with a link or a screenshot showing your biz listed at the  wrong place please?

Was there ever for the new address a listing or are you still struggling to get it verifid as there is a listing visible for the old address?

And regarding the new address 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Helmut, sorry I wasn't very clear - our old listing was removed when we moved office and changed our address. Google temporarily changed it to the new location then removed it.

My problem is with trying to prove to the Business Team that we exist at this location. As a small organisation we don't have our own reception (we have 5 members of staff) and there is a centralised reception for the whole building). I've sent pictures of the signage in the lobby and on our floor but I keep being told we can't be listed if we don't have our own reception, which can't be true as all the other businesses within our same office are listed. They all operate under the same auspices as us - a central reception, then individual floors on an open planned basis.

I am unable to get clarification of how else we can prove we exist in this building. Companies House and the Charity Commission both list this building as our registered office. I can send lease documents, photos of the office and numerous other documents and website links that list us as being here, but they keep asking for pictures of a fictional reception. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Can't you provide any official document or business license or tax bill as proof you are there wher support requireed a photo of a signage - even providing it here if not accepted by the support staff