My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Verifying a business location which is not manned

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to set up two business locations on Google Maps - one is the administrative office, the other is the location where customers 'reside'.  Its a new boat marina - the marina itself has no office and is not manned, so there is nowhere to send a verification post card to.  The other is the administrative office - a different location.

How can I get the un-manned marina location verified?  The only option offered is via postcard.  I followed the suggestions for verification via Google Web Search Console - I have established verification for the web site, but that has not changed the verification options for the unmanned business location.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Verifying a business location which is not manned

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I've had luck with calling GMB support when I ran into a unique situation that required manual verification and they were able to help me after I attempted postcard verification and was not able to receive it. I'm not sure if they're allowed to do this any more but it may be worth a call to them.

https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c_na?hl=en&cfnti=escalationflow.c2c&cft=5&rd=...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Park Farm M

In accordance with Google's guidelines "In order to qualify for a local Google+ page, a business must make in-person contact with customers during its stated hours."

From your description, the marina itself would not qualify as there is no-one at the marina to make in-person contact with customers.

Verifying the administrative office is allowable and it sounds like you've had no problems doing that, so that's good.

If you would like to add the marina as a Place of Interest on Maps then that may be possible, but not as a business. I'm not 100% au fait with Maps though so am pinging in a couple of Maps experts: @treebles@JoyHawkins who may be able to help.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Park Farm M
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for the ping @PriyaC. I would advise @Park Farm M to post over on the MapMaker forum for guidance on how to map the marina. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/map-maker

MapMaker has a steep learning curve so I don't really suggest new users add things there without getting help. If you post on the forum there are lots of experts over there that can assist you on how to properly map the marina :)

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks for that advice @JoyHawkins - much appreciated.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@JoyHawkins,

Thank you for the 'pointers' - such shame that Google has to make things a bit more difficult than they need to be.

As time passes and the marina becomes populated, there will be on site personnel - but not whilst its empty! ;)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
  • @PriyaC,
  • Not wanting to shoot the messenger, it seems to me that Google have overly complicated mapping...

Google Places
    Google Business
    My Maps (public view)
    Google Map maker

All seems to be overlapping and consequentially not that easy for someone wanting to locate and share a place of interest. It never seemed this complicated / difficult in the past. The above rules seem overly prescriptive - for example a church which is open for visitors but is not 'manned' would not if the rules were applied strictly could not be include in this form of Google maps.

Thank you for taking the time to reply - least I now know the rules!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
For the Administrative office, use Google My Business because it's a business with an office & a phone number. For the marina, post on the MapMaker forum as I suggested. MapMaker powers Google Maps - they are the same thing. My Maps doesn't apply -it's just a place for people to create their own private maps to share or use. What you put on there doesn't get published publicly to anyone who is searching for a marina on Google Maps.

Google Places is the branding they used to use before Google My Business. It's the same thing.

In reality you are only dealing with 2 things - businesses & everything else on the map :) Businesses fall under GMB, everything else use the MapMaker forum for help.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Krystina Lisi,

Thank you - a good suggestion, however they cannot do anything to help just now. Very impressed with the quick response.